[BwayDems] Robert Meeropol/Civil Liberties Forum-Thursday, October 8th (newsletter attached)

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sat Oct 3 13:20:27 EDT 2009

Erasing the Echoes of the McCarthy Era
Robert Meeropol talks about post-9/11 crackdowns on civil liberties

Thursday, October 8, 2009
7:45pm - 10:00pm

Congregation Ramath Orah Street:
550 West 110th Street (off Broadway)

Attorney Robert Meeropol was six years old when his parents, Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, were sent to the electric chair in 1953. Their execution by the U.S. Government remains one of the most troubling in American history.

Meeropol uses his parents’ case as an example to demonstrate the dangerous similarities between the McCarthy era during which his parents were targeted, and the perilous eight years that preceded President Obama’s election. Meeropol illustrates the similarities between the post-9/11 crackdowns on civil liberties—including unlawful detention and the use of torture—and the anti-communist fervor of the 1950’s. And he explores whether the new administration is taking sufficient steps to restore our commitment to human rights and repair the damage done to our Constitution.

Please come to what promises to be a very interesting evening. A question and answer period will follow the talk.