[geeklog-users] Comment Spammers

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue May 25 14:29:17 EDT 2004

Ray,

>At first I disabled comments except from users that were logged in, but
>I've found that discourages a lot of people from commenting.  It might
>be nice if there were a filter plugin that would allow me to set up
>keywords and phrases that would cause a comment to be rejected.
>
>Does anyone know if something like this is under development?  If not I
>might take a crack at it myself.

Comment spam is becoming a problem, it seems, and there have been quite a
few disussions about it recently (there was a long thread in the forums,
for example).

A filter as you suggested was not among the suggested workarounds, and I
don't think anyone is working on such a thing, so feel free to do it.

A few extra measures have already been implemented in CVS and will be
available in the next release: Tracking of IP addresses (which could then
be banned, if necessary, with Tom Willet's ban plugin), notification
emails on new comments, and a form so that users can report abusive comments.

There will, of course, always be ways around these things (including your
filter) and this will probably grow into an arms race like the one we're
already in with email spam. But we're keeping an eye on it.

bye, Dirk

--
http://www.haun-online.de/
http://www.tinyweb.de/