[geeklog-users] 1.3.9 upgrade issues...

Rob Griffiths robg at griffsweb.com
Sat Mar 20 22:49:06 EST 2004

I'm stumped and in need of help. I've search geeklog.net, and posted in
the forums, and tried IRC, but no luck thus far.  I was hoping to spend
some time this weekend getting at least my local box running 1.3.9, in
order to work on migrating the main site.  Alas, after a number of
upgrade attempts, I've had to give up.  Any and all help would be
appreciated; here's the scenario:

On my OS X machine, I've created a new GL139 directory, and placed all
the new GL139 files in the right spots (no legacy stuff from my site,
just new files). config.php and lib-common.php are edited correctly,
and all files can be found, etc.  My machine is running MySQL 4.0.16,
and PHP version 4.3.2. I know it works properly, as I have a local copy
of Geeklog 1.3.7sr2 that I use every day.

On the MySQL side, I created a new blank "gl139test" database. Then I
mysqldumped my live data from macosxhints.com, and imported it to the
test database (which is basically be a GL1.3.7sr2 site). So far so
good.  Now I'm technically ready to run the upgrade-install in GL139. I
do that, specify the path, set it to upgrade, etc.

Problem #1: The system comes back and tells me "Table
gl139test.staticpage does not exist."  This is true; I don't have the
staticpage table on the main hints site (never used it, so I never
installed it, and prior upgrades never added it). Thinking I can
outsmart the installer, I open the SQL file for the GL139 clean install
(in the SQL folder), and find the staticpage table definition. A quick
copy/paste later, and I now have a staticpage table.  So I quit and
restart the installer, again in upgrade mode, etc. etc. etc.

Problem #2: Now the installer comes back and says "Duplicate column
sp_inblock in gl139test.staticpage."  Grrr, highly frustrating. So I
try to help it again, and delete that column from the staticpage table.
  I rerun the installer, etc. and now ... it seems to work!  I get the
success page, and it shows the NewAdmin account message, etc.

Problem #3: When I attempt to login with NewAdmin, I get an SQL error.
Digging in the logs, I see this:

    "Fri Mar 19 17:41:24 2004 - 1054: Unknown column 'pwrequestid' in
'field list'. SQL in question: UPDATE users SET pwrequestid = 'NULL'
WHERE username = 'NewAdmin'"

I look, and sure enough, there's no pwrequestid field. So I copy/paste
from the SQL master file to create it, and then try to login again.
This time, in the error log, I get:

    "Fri Mar 19 17:45:28 2004 - 1064: You have an error in your SQL
syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version
for the right syntax to use near” at line 1. SQL in question: DELETE
FROM sessions WHERE uid ="

And this is where I'm stuck. I've dropped and re-imported the database
at least five times now, and I don't know what else to try. I've search
geeklog.net, and the only instances of "pwrequestid" I found was one
where you replied that it was a problem with the way the user ran the
installer.  Now I've installed Geeklog probably 100 times over the
years, so I think I understand the process and I don't think I'm
screwing up (but that's why I provided all this detail, in case you see
something I missed).

Any thoughts on (a) what's going wrong, and (b) (more impportant) how I
can get through the installer?

Help......

-rob.