[geeklog-translations] Comment on Chinese Translations

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Feb 24 15:56:30 EST 2004

Sam,

>Thanks for packaging the two Chinese translations in GB and Big5 codes.
>From my experience, these codes have much limitations when used with
>Geeklog.  I had to convert them to Unicode(UTF-8) on my sites.  Unicode is
>replacing these codes and much flexible in usage.  I suggest that we package
>the unicode version for Chinese translations in the future because it works
>better with GL.

I have no experience or knowledge with asian languages, so I wouldn't
know. The two original files were sent in by native speakers. They seemed
to work, so I included them. I guess it wouldn't hurt to include all 4
variants, at least for a while?

I noticed that Geeklog's beautifying attempts (in the preferences) failed
with your UTF-8 files: "Chinese (Fan_utf-8)" and "Chinese (Jan_utf-8)"
don't look to good (and onyl differ in one character). I could attempt to
get rid of the underscore and use an uppercase 'U': "Chinese (Fan Utf-8)"
... Not much better. Any ideas?

Also, I seem to remember that you uploaded some other UTF-8 language
files on geeklog.net but I never approved them since you uploaded them as
.php files, which are a bit of a pain to handle with the File Management
plugin (you have to approve and immediately withdraw them, then pack them
manually and update the information manually, too). Are you planning to
update those for 1.3.9, too?

bye, Dirk

--
http://www.haun-online.de/