[geeklog-translations] Multibyte character sets?

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Fri Aug 6 15:58:31 EDT 2004

The 38 language files we currently have (an impressive number, btw -
thanks to all those who provided translations) use a variety of character set:

    'big5'
    'euc-jp'
    'gb2312'
    'iso-8859-1'
    'iso-8859-2'
    'iso-8859-7'
    'iso-8859-9'
    'iso-8859-15'
    'utf-8'
    'windows-1250'
    'Windows-1251'

UTF-8 is a multi-byte character set, i.e. it sometimes uses more than 1
byte per character.

Are any of the others multibyte character sets, too? Certainly not the
ISO ones, but I don't know much about the others ...

Background: I'm working on a new version of my script to update the
language files (i.e. add the new texts automatically, so that you only
have to translate them). The old one didn't work with UTF-8 based files
(and would actually break them, when applied to them).

The new one seems to work fine with the UTF-8 files, but I now need to
know if any of the other character sets also need a special treatmen.

bye, Dirk

--
http://www.haun-online.de/
http://geeklog.info/