[geeklog-modules] Re: Forum Opinion Requested

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Wed Jan 15 12:47:16 EST 2003

First, be sure to send these kind of request to
geeklog-modules at lists.geeklog.net so we have a running history.

Well, I my opinions is GL-native modules like this should count on GL to
provide the glue for integrating process flow down to the plugins.  For
example, GL should provide a user control panel interface that centralizes
all module-specifc stuff into a common UI.  As a visual, imaging clicking
on a link named "My Account" where the first page you see will be core GL
settings and then there could be tabs for each installed modules that the
user could navigate to to set module-specific setting.

Also, after much thought, I think GL needs a system for private messages.
This is already designed into GL-2 but there is a good argument for
integrating this into the 1.3.x.  There are already a couple of non-GL
hacks that use a PM system and, IMHO, this is best managed by GL.  That
way all modules have a common way to do PM.  Just a thought, work with
dhaun on assessing the value and assigning a priority for completion as it
relates to 1.3.x

Notifications can be looked on similar to PM's.  GL2 will support
'watches' where a user can watch a user, or any 'item' supported by a
plug-in.  GL2 should manage watches for the plugins.

--Tony

--
Tony Bibbs         | "I guess you have to remember that those who don't |