[geeklog-modules] Geeklog plugin API Enhancements

Blaine Lang langmail at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 1 15:37:31 EST 2003

There have been a few areas where we have noted ideas for new API's or
enhancements to the existing plugin API's. I wanted to start this thread
here to review them and get feedback.

1) New API to support a center block
I would like to see a Plugin API call in index.php to check to see if any
registered plugins have a function for a centerblock.

Possibly the lib-plugins.php function would be
PLG_TopCenterBlock($topic,$homepage=true);

Then the plugin function would be responsible for any security checks and
return the formated HTML. Block Developers could easily tap into this as
well by releasing the plugin as a basic plugin with possibly just a simple
install, uninstall and this block function. Need to support some concept of
order when there are several.

2) Usersettings API's to allow plugins to extend the usersettings in the
account information.

   - Need a API called on user (add/edit,delete,display)
   - Plugins could add there functions as required and keep there user
settings in separate tables but linked via UID

3) Story related Link ....

   - Plugins could be called and be related to a story.
   - Example: Link at end of story intro - to start a new forum discussion
(or view the current disussion)

  - This may make sense more for the forum plugin but should we make it
generic and topic spedific. Maybe some sites may use a particular topic area
and want the  stories related to a plugin.

Blaine