[geeklog-modules] Sendmail hack demonstratable

Wayne Johns wjohns at balita.org
Wed Feb 12 06:12:27 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 Feb 2003 11:40 am +8, Tony Bibbs wrote:

Tony

For our point of view using aliases is by far the easiest approach to
posting. Our partner the Philippines government Presidents press office
post to a number of sites. Whilst your method _is_ perhaps the simplest
for a one site with limited postings if you are to post to 3 or four
sites each with numerous topics there needs to be a simpler way and less
top heavy. From our side posting is not always made by a computer
literate person.

Note: All sites are on the same server but each running under its own
domain.

Currently we use a program which takes the output from the news database
and key words within the database decide which site and which category
each item goes to.

Site a: may have topics Education, Health and Ecology
Site b: Business, Metro, Political, Health, Education

Yes there is some overlap ....

therefore with an alias and email address it is easier to direct an
article to the two example sites with:

- email address being unique for the site and topic
- subject being the subject of the story
- text of the email being the story with somesort of setting to
     automatically decide on the split.

Your approach being generic would make the posting address public and
available to all registered members and stack the items in the
submission list.

I think it is an admirable approach and will work very well - sadly our
use is different and I am not sure if it would be possible to doctor
your application to fit our rather customised needs. (I am told php-nuke
can handle what we need with little alteration - but I am not very
impressed with php-nuke hence we chose GL as a better tool).

In our case all postings will come from trusted inputers and therefore
would not require to be approved being safeguarded by origin of poster.

We will install and examine your approach but feel the various lines of
input at the beginning of the email is open to error, especially by
those who are not computer literate.

Wayne