[geeklog-modules] Forms Requirements

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Mon Dec 23 16:05:41 EST 2002

Gents,

Please take a look at the first stab of the requirements for the forms
module.  I was a bit rushed to try and get this done over a couple of
lunch hours the past couple work days so I'm confident this isn't a
complete set but I think I got us a good start.

I tried not to get too tied up in implementation details but I did add
notes where I felt it was appropriate. JT, since you have volunteered to
help a bit, I added you to this list.

Yes, this is a word document.  When possible use Word's change tracker
stuff otherwise just send the changes or discussion items to this list.
If you all could give this a good once over here over the holiday break
and get any changes back to me by Friday, January 3rd that would let a few
of us get started on this.  Please really give this the eye of scrutiny
because I feel the power this plugin give may warrant Geeklog to include
it in a default installation (similar to static pages).

Most of you can ignore the rest of this message.  For those of you
unfamiliar with what the module is here is a quick recap.

Almost all of us have a need to build forms on our sites.  Nearly 100% of
the time this means custom DB changes and custom code.  I ran across this
problem with my buddy JT in a past job working with insurance enrollment
and eligibilities.  I've since left the insurance world but the need for
all this spans many industries and the web in general.  This modules
attempts to provide these features:
1) Provides a way to create forms dynamically via a web interface with no
need for custom database changes
2) Implements the Geeklog plug-in API so the proper hooks into Geeklog can
be added
3) Obviously, this allows users to enter data and includes validation
support (on the server)
4) Fields on the forms can be either global (i.e. reusable) or live for
the purpose of one specific form.
5) Changes to data is audited for a configurable amount of time
6) A set of standard reports is available.

Now you have enough info to start making sense of the requirements
document.

Thanks,

--Tony