[geeklog-devel] Geeklog CKEditor Integration

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sun Jul 28 10:24:25 EDT 2013

Hey Dengen,

I am no expert in licenses. Dirk would know more but according to:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility

Is GPLv3 compatible with GPLv2? (#v2v3Compatibility
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility> )

No. Some of the requirements in GPLv3, such as the requirement to provide
Installation Information, do not exist in GPLv2. As a result, the licenses
are not compatible: if you tried to combine code released under both these
licenses, you would violate section 6 of GPLv2.

However, if code is released under GPL "version 2 or later," that is
compatible with GPLv3 because GPLv3 is one of the options it permits.

This would seem to suggest otherwise. I believe we are GPLv2 only. Maybe we
should add on the "or later". I am not sure on the differences but we need a
new editor and if that is the only thing stopping us I say we make the
Geeklog license compatible. I also don't know if it matters that we are
integrating a GPLv3 code into GPLv2 code and not the other way around.

I am glad you have started to work on integrating the CKEditor here are a
few points I hope you consider  J

Suprsidr has made some good points when he tried to integrate the CKeditor
for one of his themes. It is currently not easy to do with the current setup
(thanks partly to me).  When you do your integration let's try and make
things more  generic (like var and script names) and easier for plugin/theme
authors to add their own advance editor for Geeklog to use if they want).
This may require some extra api hooks. See this forum discussion on it

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=94220
<http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=94220&mode=&show=5&pag
e=4> &mode=&show=5&page=4

There also is a few bugs report about the FCKeditor not supporting RTL
languages (http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1136). This might
be a good time to make sure rtl languages work with the integration of the
CKeditor.

Thanks

Tom