[geeklog-devel] New addition to the demo site - zbblock

Michael Brusletten ironmax at spacequad.com
Thu Sep 22 22:15:28 EDT 2011

Tom,

All should be fixed in regards to what you mentioned below now.

I did notice one user make a post about the ZBBLOCK that they could not
enter the site from their home computer, but had no problem from other
systems outside their home.  Unfortunately, I cannot help this user unless
they are willing to provide the requested information to help me track down
why they were blocked.  It could be something so simple, that I could make
an adjustment to my script.  Perhaps I could turn on direct email to a
special email account I could setup, so that they could click and I get this
information with a message from them.

Here are just a few log entries I've pasted here, so you can see examples of
what it blocks.  The first entry is the test url to verify it works.

#: 1 @: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:27:39 -0400 Running: 0.4.9_Final
Host: node1.spacequad.com
IP: 192.168.0.254
Score: 1
Violation count: 0
Why blocked: QUERY Test Trigger to test function.
Query: test=xtestx
Referer:
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.0; rv:5.0.1) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/5.0.1
Reconstructed URL: http:// demo.geeklog.net /index.php?test=xtestx

#: 2 @: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:30:13 -0400 Running: 0.4.9_Final
Host: ec2-50-16-26-215.compute-1.amazonaws.com
IP: 50.16.26.215
Score: 1
Violation count: 1
Why blocked: Amazon Web Services. Not an ISP. Used by hackers, Keyword
spamming SEO bots, and other unsavories. Checked for bypass -
Query:
Referer:
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
GTB6.4)
Reconstructed URL: http:// demo.geeklog.net /index.php

#: 3 @: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:33:56 -0400 Running: 0.4.9_Final
Host: alexandria84.etcserver.com
IP: 174.123.137.18
Score: 1
Violation count: 1
Why blocked: Scrapebot, SEO scum.
Query: method=newtopic&forum=1
Referer: http://demo.geeklog.net/
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (vBSEO; http://www.vbseo.com)
Reconstructed URL: http:// demo.geeklog.net
/forum/createtopic.php?method=newtopic&forum=1

#: 4 @: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:44:57 -0400 Running: 0.4.9_Final
Host: sentriless-lantern.volia.net
IP: 93.72.18.22
Score: 3
Violation count: 1 INSTA-BANNED
Why blocked: Robot Probe. INSTA-BAN. Bot UA. RBN. You have been instantly
banned due to extremely hazardous behavior!
Query: method=newtopic&forum=1
Referer:
http://demo.geeklog.net/forum/createtopic.php?method=newtopic&forum=1
User Agent: Mozilla/0.91 Beta (Windows)
Reconstructed URL: http:// demo.geeklog.net
/forum/createtopic.php?method=newtopic&forum=1

#: 5 @: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:54:03 -0400 Running: 0.4.9_Final
Host: chols252.krypt.com
IP: 98.126.47.234
Score: 2
Violation count: 1
Why blocked: RFI attack/SQL injection (some browser plugins like
Linkification for Firefox may cause this). Execution Attempt.
Query:
method=newtopic&forum=1+Result:+captcha+recognized;+choosen+values+in+select
+field+-+%22blah%22;+success+-+posted+to+first+encountered+partition+%22inde
x.php?forum=1%22;+BB-code+not+working;
Referer: http://www.discountonline-uggboots.com]
User Agent: Mozilla/4.76 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
Reconstructed URL: http:// demo.geeklog.net
/forum/createtopic.php?method=newtopic&forum=1+Result:+captcha+recognized;+c
hoosen+values+in+select+field+-+%22blah%22;+success+-+posted+to+first+encoun
tered+partition+%22index.php?forum=1%22;+BB-code+not+working;

#: 6 @: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:54:12 -0400 Running: 0.4.9_Final
Host: chols252.krypt.com
IP: 98.126.47.234
Score: 2
Violation count: 2
http://demo.geeklog.net/forum/createtopic.php?method=newtopic&forum=1+result:+captcha+recognized;+choosen+values+in+select+field+-+%22blah%22;+success+-+posted+to+first+encountered+partition+%22index.php?forum=1%22;+bb-code+not+working;
User Agent: Mozilla/4.76 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
Reconstructed URL: http:// demo.geeklog.net
/forum/createtopic.php?method=newtopic&forum=1+Result:+captcha+recognized;+c
hoosen+values+in+select+field+-+%22blah%22;+success+-+posted+to+first+encoun
tered+partition+%22index.php?forum=1%22;+BB-code+not+working;

#: 7 @: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:02:23 -0400 Running: 0.4.9_Final
Host: 70-40-95-178.pool.ukrtel.net
IP: 178.95.40.70
Score: 1
Violation count: 1
Why blocked: ukrtel, forum spambots.
Query: method=newtopic&forum=1
Referer:
http://demo.geeklog.net/forum/createtopic.php?method=newtopic&forum=1
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; MRA 4.6
(build 01425))

#: 8 @: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:02:31 -0400 Running: 0.4.9_Final
Host: 70-40-95-178.pool.ukrtel.net
IP: 178.95.40.70
Score: 1
Violation count: 2
Why blocked: ukrtel, forum spambots.
Query:
Referer:
http://demo.geeklog.net/forum/createtopic.php?method=newtopic&forum=1
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; MRA 4.6
(build 01425))
Reconstructed URL: http:// demo.geeklog.net /index.php

Hopefully with some tweaking, I can forgo the perminant ban after the 3
strike rule and just provide the user with the actual error page everytime,
instead a few words that they've been banned.

Michael

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:09:44 -0400
> From: "Tom" <websitemaster at cogeco.net>
> Subject: Re: [geeklog-devel] New addition to the demo site - zbblock
> To: "'Geeklog Development'" <geeklog-devel at lists.geeklog.net>
>
> Hey Michael,
>

> I just noticed on the demo site that the "Welcome to Geeklog"  story
> contains links to the old forum plugins website. Could you update it to
> http://code.google.com/p/geeklog/ when you get a chance?
>

> The Captcha plugin also has been taken over by Ben of Geeklog.fr
>

> In regards to your email, I haven't heard of ZB Block before, I will have
> read up on it.
>

> Thanks
>

> Tom

Counter-Strike