[geeklog-devel] Redesign the Plugin "Editor"

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Sat Jan 15 13:53:18 EST 2011

Hi all,

I found another task on openhatch [1] that I would like to have a go at.
Here's its summary:

"Geeklog's plugin 'editor' is mainly a form that displays some
information about a plugin. It really only has options to enable/disable
a plugin and possibly to update it. The main issue with this form,
however, is that unlike all of the other editors in Geeklog, it has the
buttons (save, cancel, ...) at the top of the form. But moving them to
the bottom (for consistency) leaves some ugly blank space at the top of
the form. So the task is to come up with a new design for this form
that's both consistent with the rest of Geeklog and also looks nice."

However I fail to see how the plugin editor is actually useful. All the
information that it displays can be safely moved to the plugin list.
This can be done by either directly inserting information in the table
or by using the new COM_tooltip() function. The "delete" function can
also be inserted in the plugin list table, including the confirmation
function. There would be only one thing left for which the plugin editor
would be useful after the changes that I described above are
implemented: enabling and disabling plugins without the need for
JavaScript to be turned on. But I tackled this last issue in "feature
request #0001243"[2]. So, basically we'd be left at this point with the
same implementation as in glFusion plugin admin ( Can be seen on their
demo site [3] ). So, what do you guys think? Should I do it like that?
Any other ideas / suggestions / recommendations?

Take care,
Rouslan

[1]: https://openhatch.org/+projects/geeklog
[2]: http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1243