[geeklog-devel] JavaScript Libraries

Blaine Lang devel at portalparts.com
Wed Jan 2 08:26:08 EST 2008

I  have been using the YUI library in projects for possibly 2 years
since it was first released and have not been disappointed. It's
continued to grow and is actively supported. It is a very rich set of
components and one item in the YUI class that really has interested me
for GL and theme control are the CSS/Grid/Layout/Menu classes with their
graded browser support.

I have also used the Walter Zorn tooltip library as it is one of the
best lightweight JS libraries for this function.

Some of the very best UI components are from Jack Slocum who released
the EXT library just 1 year ago and has rapidly gained incredible
community support and recognition. We used his first version of the GRID
control based on YUI for a large project and it worked very well.

Another developer had released an excellent Accordion menu/window
control based on EXT but it now looks like that is being rolled into the
EXT library. I expect Jack will have even more to show us in 2008.

I have plans to implement more AJAX functionality to the forum plugin
and will be using the YUI class for that. I've often used ny own
Javascript but it's far nicer to code with the YUI library.

The YUI library is setup as multiple library files and has lightweight
versions if your not using the more advanced methods of any single
library. Additionally, you can load versions of the compressed libraries
from Yahoo's own servers to speed up browser load times. They have
probably the best online documentation.

I have recently used both prototype and YUI without any issues as I
needed a special rating UI component but I'd vote for YUI and EXT with a
few other smaller independent libraries as needed.

Blaine