[geeklog-devel] Image resizing with gdlib

Tom Willett tomw at pigstye.net
Wed Oct 13 11:42:04 EDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:27:30 +0200, Dirk Haun wrote
> Tom,
>
> >I was playing with the automatic image resizing using gdlib this morning
and
> >noticed something wrong.
> >
> >The image resize works correctly but the link in the article is wrong.
The
> >image is converted to png but the article points to the picture as a
gif.
> >The image is correctly converted to png and resized and resides in the
image
> >directory, the link is simply wrong.
>
> Ignoring for the moment that, using the current CVS version, it doesn't
> seem to work at all (at least not for userphotos with gdlib):
>
> The problem is that on the "client" side (usersettings.php and admin/
> story.php), the code still expects the upload class to return .gif files
> - it doesn't know about the PNG conversion and there doesn't seem to
> be a way to get the actual file names back.
>
> Which would also explain why the userphotos aren't working, as it's doing
> a file_exists() there before adding the file name to the database.
>
> One has to wonder if the PNG conversion makes sense anymore, now
> that the LZW patent has finally expired world-wide ...
>
> bye, Dirk
>
> --
> http://www.haun-online.de/
> http://mypod.de/

As a follow up to this, I discovered that trying to upload any gif file with
a story with the gdlib option chosen fails with the error:

Error: Chmod of aldrich.gif to 0644 failed

or whatever your gif is named.  Removing the gdlib option from config.php
allows the upload to work.

This is the gdlib and php with Fedora Core 2.

--
Tom Willett
tomw at pigstye.net