[geeklog-devel] Anti Spam Features

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Oct 28 10:09:17 EST 2003

As noted in the forums of Geeklog.net it appears a growing trend is the
spamming of blogs.  With Geeklog a big player in this arena I think we
would be wise to start thinking up ways to implement anti-spam measures.

I think the start would be to be able to mark comments as spam.  When a
comment is identified as spam I think the IP should be logged.  In the
config.php file I think we could then set a spam threshold at say 5.
What that means is if a an IP is tied to spamming the Geeklog site five
times then we would ban that IP.  I know using IP's isn't the greatest
but my hunch is 99% of this sort of spam would come from static IP's and
not proxy IP's.  However, we should still allow admins to turn this
feature on or off.

One other bit of useful logic would be to check if the source IP of spam
has been tied to comments which weren't identified as spam.  If we did
that then in our logic we could basically check a) has the IP hit the
threshold, if so has it been used in non-spam comments.  If it *has*
been used in non-spam comments then we could assume it is from a proxied
IP and not ban the IP.

I also think later versions of this could use MySQL's full text
searching capabilities.

To start, if we were to add the IP to the comment table I think we could
write a plugin to do all this.  OF course this assumes that a plugin API
is called when a comment is submitted which may or may not be the case (
I can't remember).

I'm sure you guys may have other ideas too.

|Tony Bibbs         |[R]egardless of what you may think of our penal   |
|tony at tonybibbs.com |system, the fact is that every man in jail is one |
|                   |less potential fisherman to clutter up your       |
|                   |favorite pool or pond. --Ed Zern                  |