[geeklog-devel] The Project Formerly Known As Echo

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Mon Jul 28 16:22:50 EDT 2003

Tony, have you heard anything from the guy who posted a "Webportal
Interoperability Protocol" proposal to the contact-us list back in June
(and who you responded to)?

The reason I'm asking: I've been spending a lot of time reading through
the Wiki of the project that at one point carried the name "Echo"[1] over
the weekend - and I think that maybe this was more or less what he was
looking for anyway ...

    http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/

"The Project is an initiative to develop a common syntax for syndicating,
archiving and editing episodic web sites."

So this is an attempt to replace things like RSS as well as the various
Blogging-APIs. Many well-known names and companies have already joined
this effort, and so I'm sure this is something we can't afford to miss.
Worth looking into, IMHO.

I've hacked together an implementation of the current syndication draft:

    http://geeklog.info/backend/new-feed.xml

That's not too different from an RSS feed, but has some nice options,
like allowing for alternative representations of the same content (here:
text/plain and text/html versions of a story).

Personally, I'm currently more interested in the editing API, but that's
pointless without a client (at the current point) and I haven't quite
understood their authentification approach yet ...

bye, Dirk

[1] It's difficult to refer to a project that keeps changing its name so
often. I will stick with Echo for now, until they come up with yet
another new name:

    http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/NameFinalVote

--
http://www.haun-online.de/