[geeklog-devel] Re: GL2 Schema

Dwight Trumbower dwight at trumbower.com
Tue Jan 21 09:54:02 EST 2003

At 11:23 PM 1/20/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>It's funny how this works.  I've always been accustom (at work, anyway) to
>using singlar tables names.  I'm flexible.  Just choose one...I don't
>think any of use cares much ;-)
>
>Well, keep this in mind.  We do allow the user to specify a table prefix
>during installation.  Right now we default this to gl_ in config.php so
>this can change.  I would say to definitely configure the A&A tables with
>a AA_ prefix and let the user specify the GL prefix.  I say this because
>some users on ISP's have to jam a bunch of apps in one database (or pay
>for a new DB).  This helps them allow Geeklog to live in their database
>with other apps.
>
>Agreed on using meaningful column names.  You know if you spent a little
>time googling you could probalby find a DB standard doc we could modify to
>suit us.  This is important especially for module developers as we will
>want to comply with our database stuff as well.  Just a thought...

I did that again last night and I still get the same results. Everyone has
there own opinions. I tend to follow the works of Joe Celko (SQL Guru),
with my own changes.

Right now I'm trying a few applications to make the conversion of all three
dbs easier. Unfortunately there are not many db design tools that support
mysql, postgresql and sql server.  The ones I have found, I'm not
impressed. It might be back to good old manual way.