[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Service offering

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Fri Jan 10 13:42:51 EST 2003

Right, so in the interest of what you said, what is the smallest piece of
work we can do quickly that will start us down this road?

--Tony

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Tom Willett wrote:

> I sometimes wonder why it seems that only Blaine and I respond to things
> like this.  At first I thought oh well we are just a couple of vain old men
> who like to impose our beliefs on others.  ;)  But then I realized, hell, I
> have always been this way!  So here goes again and after this I will shut up.
>
> > Tony Bibbs wrote
> > Here are some initial thoughts I had on how to start his up.  First, there
> > is no really need to go all gung-ho until we prove there is a market for
> > this sort of stuff.  So our first goal should be to establish the fact
> > tehre is need for services around GL.
> >

> Agreed -- For my last startup I contacted a local State College Business
> School and let one of the business classes take my initial thoughts and us
> it as a class project developing a business plan and doing a marketing
> survey.  I only came away from that experience with one good idea, but that
> one idea saved me about $20,000 and untold headaches.  I imagine that any
> business school would jump on the chance to do the same for a high-tech
> service oriented business like this.
>

> > To do that I propose we do something simple like set-up one bank account
> > in which all $$ will initially go into.  Then we need to figure out how
> > much revenue a month we think we need before we are convinced there is a
> > need for this and that we need to go to the next level.  Let's call that
> > magic number $X/month.
> >
> > Until we reach our goal of $X/month, all money stays in the account.  When
> > we hit that goal we can then take what is in the account to pay for things
> > we may need (drafts of contracts, lawyer time to set up a corporation,
> > etc).  I say we prime the pump and just dump it all back into what we are
> > trying to do. From that point on we can start dividing up revenue in a way
> > that rewards people based on time spent and goals accomplished (i.e. more
> > like a 'real' business).
> >

> Once again Agreed.  It is painful to not reap the fruit of you labor at
> first but essential.  You either have to do something like this to fund a
> startup or borrow money or put in some of your own (yuk).  And you need to
> be realistic, do not expect it to happen in two or three months.
>
> And another painful thought, especially in this dot-com boom and bust world,
> you better plan on not getting any money out of the company for at least a
> year, probably more.  So don't quit your day job.  The only way people got
> rich in the past dot-com bubble was by taking other peoples money.
>
> --
> Tom Willett
> tomw at pigstye.net

Tony Bibbs         | "I guess you have to remember that those who don't |
tony at tonybibbs.com | hunt or fish often see those of us who do as       |
                   | harmlessly strange and sort of amusing. When you   |
                   | think about it, that might be a fair assessment."  |
                   | --Unknown                                          |