[chemfp] infinite similarity measures

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Wed Feb 10 04:04:45 EST 2010

What value should Tanimoto(fp1, fp2) return when fp1 and fp2 have no bits set?

In that case: c / (a+b+c) = 0/(0+0+0) = 0/0 .

I've defined it in my code as 0.

I could return an IEEE infinity value, which is what OpenBabel and CDK do.

I could also define them as 1.0, which is what OpenEye does.

The same question applies if I were to implement some of the other measure from

http://www.daylight.com/dayhtml/doc/theory/theory.finger.html

What in general should be returned when the result is infinity?

Andrew
dalke at dalkescientific.com
P.S.
I think the answer to this is also why a raven is like a writing desk. :)