[BwayDems] Broadway Dems' Upcoming Events

Meika Mustrangi meika2008 at gmail.com
Mon May 31 18:55:39 EDT 2021

Racial Justice Action Committee Meeting
Thur, Jun 3 at 7 PM

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82380944252?pwd=Y3pXS29WSlZmakxBaDBZMTdFRlVBUT09 <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82380944252?pwd=Y3pXS29WSlZmakxBaDBZMTdFRlVBUT09>

NEW: Less is More phonezaps
Mon, June 7 at 6-7 PM  &
Tue, June 8 at 12-1 PM

Join us in calling NYS legislators and asking them to co-sponsor ‘Less is More: Community Supervision Revocation Reform Act”.

We’ll provide you with the call script and a list of about 10 legislators to call.  A phonezap is a barrage of calls, inundating the offices of our target legislators.  We are partnering with the Katal Center for Equity, Health, and Justice, who is leading the state-wide 'Less is More' campaign (www.lessismoreny.org <http://www.lessismoreny.org/?link_id=0&can_id=da5e447350515071a48fad42a3b1e743&source=email-our-new-new-york-campaign-2&email_referrer=email_1188282&email_subject=less-is-more-phonezaps-coming-up>).

New York is #1 in the country in re-incarcerating people for minor violations of parole (e.g. something as small as being late for curfew).  This outdated and unfair system is responsible for over 30% of new admissions in our jails and prisons and is a major pipeline for mass incarceration.  It impedes parolees from successfully reintegrating into their communities, with no measurable benefit to public safety.  It disproportionally affects people of color: Blacks are 5 times more likely than whites to be sent back to prison for a minor violation statewide and 12 times more likely in NYC.

‘Less is More’ would greatly restrict the use of incarceration for technical violations, bolster due process, provide speedy hearings, and provide earned time credits.

Sponsored by State Sen. Brian Benjamin (S1144) and Assym. Phara Forrest (A5576), ‘Less is More’ counts with broad support from District Attorneys and other law enforcement officers as well as NYC and NYS officials.  At last count 277 organizations have endorsed 'Less is More'.  You can see the entire list here <https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/CMxF4nARlf6wAFa1PSfv0kKceT0SJyFK241bU5LgXfXLCjTaNpOdvY1TLFDzwiAv3BStpYAr-pbN5Sgyow63WSn4dj6Ujv-RKdK58jBVag8H7vvyp1gBnUCCQqafezG3o2jPKB_S8EwcWsrSC_4N_OZ2HQcTZn536Y8xQlampnb57-EDxoSYOLNSo7m7cCj4zVUiNhr5Sd2dVhKGTbWxwXWWGBhMqzl7U_HChoGsWuPM3_oS9z5JtWTQrQUCNnVbNOBYafxZXDNvhdusF3cPkQVIczecD3EjIFoHuIpAAO0M1WV2tZdPWuBb7VWLG1vKMZFThYap6G-yxn4uBEtQNpziY2_vpWw7ZZhWmirOCw0QokQXeB3fmDJE1171jQKKeLWYgreoNNuztldhdWGAQWtjvU0A5f26X6NSRsjzfko/3c9/IyWpuYYqSWCQaNelTZNZFg/h0/3q4A4Y2J5oxhQJ0yCp9h_NM_ERbSMgsI7MijYxQRZ90>.

In a 2018 editorial, “The Problem with Parole”, The New York Times highlighted the problems with the system in New York and advocated for the reforms included in ‘Less is More’: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/11/opinion/problem-parole.html <https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDGlyFEPfIQqTPhAJ7ICxnKElXIMyvXa5fOeBkFLfp8urYCnCD460aRoOHPV_Ou9EDUuJhvS_FAnK7zHv5LbsgJ8TWQq_pDOcMg9xz0Yed0-EV8fLW0l3DORSn8iskPqN63qidaFixwWRESZQfQ9Bnn8cowi1H0X9uf2t9Tn0b5P-2ItNzh4rSXOcfObfnPmD_8Cx0wiaXGNnTgmNzIDoWt2r-bWc76Fx2_URRenuN2JSYIsodNgj9zGP5FHVtTFePJx_Dn4QiRZafbX5exF7E0as8ABdS4PVskGZbmV-EMPu/3c9/IyWpuYYqSWCQaNelTZNZFg/h1/c5uQWroARmYz_fd2Lpc5SHEm3s3l4TNeB-ETTfFbyO4>.

This is the final push of the NYS legislative session, which ends on June 10!

‘Less is More’ already has 29 sponsors in the state Senate (out of a total of 63 Senators) and 66 sponsors in the Assembly (out of a total of 150 Assyms.).  If we can get more co-sponsors the bill has a good chance of being brought to a vote in the Senate and Assembly and be passed this year!

Sign up here to join us Mon, June 7 (6-7pm) and/or Tues, June 8 (12-1pm), or to make calls on your own (we’ll send you the info you need). <https://forms.gle/3g2acG2EMsBzkGB89>

Questions?  Pls. contact Meika A. Mustrangi at <meika2008 at gmail.com <mailto:meika2008 at gmail.com>>.

June General Meeting
Thur, June 10 at 7 PM

Join us at our next club Forum.  The forum will focus on our endorsed candidates.  We may have some representatives from the campaigns.  We will have an open discussion -- so that club members can discuss the upcoming primaries -- our first choices -- and how to strategically use ranked choice voting.  This election is about who we support, who we are ‘ok’ with and who we do not want to see win.

June Book Club
Tue, June 15 at 7 PM

We will be reading Christy by Catherine Marshall <https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35879889-christy?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=0kAD9EZi1N&rank=1>.
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUscu-qpjMuGdObKa2NDHN8WWA-k4xXTGxM <https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUscu-qpjMuGdObKa2NDHN8WWA-k4xXTGxM>

We invite you to visit our new website: http://www.broadwaydemocrats.org/index.html <http://www.broadwaydemocrats.org/index.html>. Take a look, make a comment, join the club . . .  For more info, email technologycommittee at broadwaydemocrats.org <mailto:technologycommittee at broadwaydemocrats.org>