[BwayDems] Corona Virus Facts

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:35:43 EDT 2020

|  |

|   |

|  |

As our community responds to Coronavirus, it is critically important that we have the best possible information. As your representative in Albany, I want to ensure that you know what we know about Coronavirus; what you should be doing; and what your government is doing.
New York is equipped and fully prepared to respond to this situation. As with any emergency, it is always best that we remain calm, keep ourselves informed, and look out for each other. I know our community well, and so I am certain that will not be a problem for us!
Thank you,Brian A. BenjaminNY State Senator   |

|  |

| WHAT IS CORONAVIRUS / COVID-19 |

| COVID-19 is a new disease, and we are still learning about it. Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
   - Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
   - Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
A COVID-19 outbreak could last for a long time in our community. As of today New York State has 142 cases of COVID-19, 19 of which are in New York City.

|  |

| WHAT YOU SHOULD DO |

| ARE YOU SICK?
   - If you have cold symptoms, STAY HOME.
   - If you have a fever, CALL AHEAD to your doctor, urgent care, or an NYC H&H Facility and then SEEK MEDICAL CARE.
   - NYC will provide medical care regardless of immigration status or ability to pay.
   - If you have been in contact with someone who tested positive but are not sick, you should consider quarantining yourself.
   - For more info, call 311 or the state COVID-19 hotline at 888-364-3065.

STAY INFORMED
   - Text COVID to 692-692 to get real-time updates.

PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHERS
   - Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If this is not available, use 60% alcohol hand sanitizer.
   - Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
   - Cover your coughs and sneezes.
   - Don’t shake hands. Elbow bumps!

REDUCE OVERCROWDING
   - If you are an employer, you can help the community by allowing your employees to telecommute or staggering their arrival times.
   - Can you walk or bike to work? If so, do it!
   - If the subway or bus is too crowded, consider waiting for the next one.

PROTECT THE MOST VULNERABLE
   - If you are elderly or have an existing respiratory condition, avoid large public gatherings.
   - If you’re sick, don’t visit elderly people and people with existing respiratory conditions.

|  |

| WHAT YOUR GOVERNMENT IS DOING |

   - A daily cycle of disinfection of highly touched areas on trains, and a 72 hour cycle of complete disinfection.
   - Protecting New Yorkers from harassment and discrimination: Call 311 to report discrimination!
   - Defending New Yorkers from price gouging: Call 800-697-1220 to report price gouging.
   - Declaring a State of Emergency to allow expedited processes and more resources to combat COVID-19.
   - Providing loans to small businesses who are seeing a drop in revenue.
   - Doubling the number of “disease detectives” to track COVID-19.

|  |

| I hope this information proves useful to you. It is important that we separate facts from fear as we get through this trying time together.  |

|   |

|  |

| STAY CONNECTED!  |

|  |

| Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Office Building 163 West 125th Street, Suite 912 New York, NY 10027 |

| (212) 222-7315 bbenjamin at nysenate.gov www.benjamin.nysenate.gov  |

| Tell your friends and family to text "BENJAMIN" to 22828 to join this email list!  |

|  |

| www.benjamin.nysenate.gov |

| ‌ |

|  New York State Senator Brian A. Benjamin | 163 West 125th Street , Suite 912, New York, NY 10030  |

|  Sent by bbenjamin at nysenate.gov in collaboration with  |

|     |
|  Try email marketing for free today!  |