[BwayDems] March & Rally to Repeal 50-a - Sunday, June 7th at 1:00 pm

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sat Jun 6 20:15:21 EDT 2020

What practical measures can we take? One real action we can take is the repeal of Civil Rights Law 50-a which allows police to refuse to turn over police personnel records and hide misconduct. It shields police from accountability for misconduct and botched disciplinary proceedings. The primary police officer in the killing of George Floyd had years of horrendous police personnel records.
Our own Assembly Member Danny O’Donnell has been leading the charge to repeal 50-a and hopes that current events will help that effort. Here is the link to the bill he sponsored in the Assembly https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?bn=A02513 and a recent article referring to his efforts:https://www.westsiderag.com/2020/06/05/as-anger-spills-into-the-streets-local-assemblyman-nears-a-long-sought-victory-on-police-accountability-law
Senator Robert Jackson, one of our two wonderful state senators, has organized a march and rally supporting passage of the law. It starts at the Marble Hill Houses Oval at 1pm, with everyone marching down to Riverbank State Park for a 4pm rally in support of the repeal of 50-a. (If you have previous experience as a marshal in a march, get to Marble Hill early and look for Johanna and Chris.)