[BwayDems] Please join us to phonebank for Congressman Adriano Espaillat -- Tuesday, June 9th at 4pm

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Thu Jun 4 23:29:30 EDT 2020

Please join Broadway Democrats and Go Blue 2020 to phonebankTuesday for our congressman from the 13th! Let's support Congressman Espaillatwho forcefully advocates for "an America that is inclusive and protectsthe rights of all its citizens." He calls on "Republicans to step upand stop stalling on critical legislation that can #SaveLives [by enacting]the Emmett Till Anti-lynching Act now [to] make lynching a hate crime!" Healso pushes for an end to police brutality. See below for his new bill.
Phonebank with us Tuesday, June 9th at 4pm. RSVP atbroadwaydemsgoblue at gmail.com.

Mary, Amy, Curtis, and Paula

Representative Adriano Espaillat Introduces Bill to Hold LawEnforcement Officers Accountable for Violations of Rights and LibertiesGuaranteed by the United States Constitution; The Denial of Rights Prevention and Accountability Act Aimsto Hold Officers Accountable in Court for Abuses Under the Color of the Law

NEW YORK, N.Y.– Representative Adriano Espaillat (NY-13) announced legislation todayto hold law enforcement officers accountable for violations of rights andliberties guaranteed to all persons under the U.S. Constitution.

“The death of George Floyd at the hands of a police officerin Minneapolis, Minnesota has torn open the wounds inflicted upon AfricanAmerican communities in this nation for generations. The protests we havewitnessed in the days following Mr. Floyd’s murder are a resounding call forjustice and a demand for action to change a system plagued in racism, excessiveforce and brutality,” said Rep. Adriano Espaillat (NY-13).

“Legal impunity for law enforcement officers who depriveAmerican citizens of their rights impacts Americans of all backgrounds, but ittakes an especially heavy toll on African Americans, who account for 13 percentof the total national population, but who are killed by police at more thantwice the rate of White Americans. The police killings of Breonna Taylor inLouisville, Kentucky; Dreasjon ‘Sean’ Reed in Indianapolis, Indiana; GeorgeFloyd, and Tony McDade in Tallahassee, Florida are only the most recent publicinstances of a deeply entrenched system of excessive force and discriminationby law enforcement officers and the inability of the justice system to holdthem accountable. Without a doubt, these individuals should still be alive.

“I am introducing The Denial of Rights Prevention andAccountability Act to hold officers accountable in court for abuses committedunder the color of the law, and create a new statute that would lower the mensrea bar from willful deprivation of rights to reckless deprivation of rights,thereby permitting prosecutors to successfully hold law enforcement officersliable for the deprivation of civil rights and liberties.

“This moment we are witnessing following the murder ofGeorge Floyd must be different and our efforts to bring about change must bestrong. I am calling on my congressional colleagues to join me in this effortas we each have a duty and responsibility to take meaningful action to hold policeofficers accountable for abuses of power and to help reconcile the woundsinflicted on communities around our nation for generations.

"A special thanks to the New York Urban League and ourcoalition partners who are contributing to the development of this crucialpolicy."

# # #

First elected to Congress in 2016, Rep. Adriano Espaillat isserving his second term in Congress where he serves as a member of theinfluential U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee, the House Committee onTransportation and Infrastructure, and the House Small Business Committee. Heserves as a Senior Whip of the House Democratic Caucus and is a member of theCongressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC) where he also serves in a leadership roleas CHC Whip. He is also chairman of the CHC Task Force for Transportation,Infrastructure and Housing. Rep. Espaillat’s Congressional District includesHarlem, East Harlem, northern Manhattan and the north-west Bronx.