[BwayDems] Fwd: Fifth Ave.Committee: Apply for the COVID Rent Relief Program through New York State!

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sat Jul 18 16:43:18 EDT 2020

 From: Fifth Avenue Committee <mminnich at fifthave.org>

|  |

| Apply for the COVID Rent Relief Program through New York State! |

|  |

| Check Your Eligibility & Apply: Here New York State's COVID Rent Relief Program will provide eligible households with a one-time rental subsidy that will be sent directly to the household’s landlord. Applicants will not need to repay this assistance. The rental assistance payment will cover the difference between the household’s rent burden on March 1, 2020 and the increase in rent burden for the months the households is applying for assistance. Households can apply for up to four months in rental assistance. Applications are accepted from July 16th - July 30th. Eligible households must meet all the following criteria:

   - Have a primary residence in New York State.
   - Before March 1, 2020 and when a resident applies, their household income must be below 80% of the area median income for their county and household size. Applicants can find their county’s area median income, based on household size.
   - Before March 1, 2020 and at the time of application, your household must pay more than 30% of your gross monthly income for rent.
   - You lost income during the COVID-19 crisis during the period of April 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020.

Facts You Need to Know About the COVID Rent Relief Program:
   - The following types of rental properties are available for rent relief assistance through the program:
   - Apartment rental;
   - Rental for a single-family home;
   - Manufactured home rental;
   - and Manufactured home lot rental.
   - The COVID Rent Relief Program is not first come, first served. Applications will be accepted throughout the two-week application period. HCR will prioritize eligible households with “greatest economic and social need” and landlords and other housing providers are legally required to accept the COVID Rent Relief Program.
   - You are NOT eligible to receive this rental assistance if you currently have a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher or reside in public housing
   - If you have a Section 8 vouchers and have lost income in this period, the household should request an adjustment to their rental payment standard.
   - You will need a Copy of a lease or other proof of monthly rental amount; AND Proof of the household’s gross income prior to March 1, 2020 and at present. This includes, but is not limited to paystubs, employer letters, and federal/state tax returns.
   - If a household is selected to receive COVID Rent Relief, and they have already paid all or a portion of their rent, they may choose to have their landlord treat the relief as pre-payment of rent for one or more months beginning August 1, 2020. The household may also choose to have the landlord apply the payment to a security deposit if it was used it to pay rent.
   - If you live with one or more roommates, you can only apply for assistance for the portion of the home and rent payment for which you are personally responsible on a monthly basis.
   - If you AND a roommate are both applying for assistance, you must apply together as a household.