[BwayDems] Fwd: Assembly Member O'Donnell Statement On Ruling Denying Injunction For Police Misconduct Records

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sat Aug 22 12:02:35 EDT 2020

From: Danny O’Donnell <odonnelld at nyassembly.gov>
Date: Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 4:18 PM

|  View this email in your browser  |

|    |

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Gabriel Lewenstein
 Chief of Staff
 LewensteinG at nyassembly.gov

Assembly Member Danny O’Donnell Statement on Judge Failla’s
Ruling Denying Injunction To Prevent the Release of Police Misconduct Records

NY, NY – August 21, 2020 – Today, District Court Judge Katherine Polk Failla issued her decision denying the police union’s motion to place an injunction on New York City and the Civilian Complaint Review Board to prevent them from releasing police disciplinary records.

Assembly Member Danny O’Donnell said, “When the New York Legislature repealed Section 50-a, we wiped away over 40 years of bad case law stemming from one misinterpreted statute. Today, we averted stumbling down a similar path of secrecy and confusion. Judge Failla’s thoughtful and well-reasoned decision confirms that New York City is allowed to release records of police misconduct complaints that have been legally and appropriately requested through the FOIL process. This decision reflects the care and consideration the Legislature put into balancing varied public interests during the five years we took to pass the repeal of 50-a, and appropriately identified our goals of promoting transparency, accountability, and safety for all communities. I am glad to see these values affirmed, and our mission to create a more just society advance.”

Assembly Member O’Donnell introduced legislation to repeal Section 50-a of the New York State Civil Rights Law in 2016. His bill, carried by Senator Jamaal Bailey in the State Senate, passed the Legislature on June 9, 2020.

###

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  Copyright © 2020 Assembly Member Danny O'Donnell, All rights reserved.
 You're receiving this because you are a journalist covering New York City or State.

Our mailing address is:
Assembly Member Danny O'DonnellPO Box250875New York, NY 10025
Add us to your address book