[BwayDems] Fwd: New York Must Seize Campaign Reform Opportunity

Pat Almonrode palmonrode at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 18:29:41 EDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Congressman Jerry Nadler <CongressmanNadler at mail.house.gov>
Date: Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM
Subject: New York Must Seize Campaign Reform Opportunity

September 20, 2019
Click here
<https://nadler.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=T54GQHJBC4VISBFQDWK7FDJ5Q4>
if you have trouble viewing this email
<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471637-53157372>
*New York Must Seize Campaign Reform Opportunity*
<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471638-53157372>

*Rep. Nadler speaking in support of H.R. 1, the For The People Act, which
ends the dominance of big money in our politics.
<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471639-53157372>*

This week, I wrote an op-ed in the New York Daily News
<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471640-53157372>
calling on New  York State to take strong steps to address the role of big
money in our politics by enacting a publicly-financed, small-donor matching
campaign finance system. To read my full op-ed, please click here
<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471641-53157372>.

Below is a portion of the op-ed:

*"Under the governor’s leadership, the state is in the unique position to
show the rest of the country how to build and protect democracy by enacting
campaign finance reform with small-donor matching funds.*

*There is one catch: They have less than 75 days to get it right. And yet
now, rather than focus entirely on the major task in front of them —
enacting model legislation to reduce the influence of the wealthy and
powerful interests — they are spending precious time on the question of
whether or not New York State should maintain its system of fusion voting.
The Court of Appeals, New York’s highest court, has ruled
<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471642-53157372> three
times (in 1910, 1911 and 1973) that fusion, which allows parties to endorse
candidates of another party, is a constitutional right. Fusion voting is an
important part of New York’s democracy — giving voters more choices, not
just of candidates but of parties. And as the New York City system has
shown, fusion has no impact on a robust public financing system.*

*So reformers in New York need to keep their eyes on the ball. Though
Democrats around the country are supportive of public financing, it’s here
in New York where we can lead the way."*
To read my my full op-ed, please click here
<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471643-53157372>.
Connect

<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471644-53157372>
<https://nadler.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=471645-53157372>