[BwayDems] Fwd: REP. ADRIANO ESPAILLAT INTRODUCES THE AMTRAK ACT

Pat Almonrode palmonrode at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 07:22:25 EDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Congressman Adriano Espaillat <Candace.Person at mail.house.gov>
Date: Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 4:29 PM
Subject: REP. ADRIANO ESPAILLAT INTRODUCES THE AMTRAK ACT

<https://espaillatforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=734-538952>

REPRESENTATIVE ADRIANO ESPAILLAT INTRODUCES THE AMTRAK ACT

EVENT PLANNED IN COLLABORATION WITH NYC COUNCILMAN MARK LEVINE CALLING FOR
REMOVAL OF AMTRAK BILLBOARD

* The Allowing More Transparency in Reviewing Advertising Construction Act
(AMTRAK Act) will require the federally-assisted national passenger
railroad network to follow local rules and processes when installing
advertising infrastructure.*
*NEW YORK, NY* – *Representative Adriano Espaillat (NY-13),* joined by *New
York City Council Member Mark Levine*, will host a press conference on Monday,
October 7th at 11:00 a.m. at West 155th Street and Riverside Drive, where
he will discuss his Allowing More Transparency in Reviewing Advertising
Construction Act or the *AMTRAK Act
<https://espaillatforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=735-538952>*.
The bill will require the federally-assisted national passenger railroad
network to follow local rules and processes when installing advertising
infrastructure and was introduced at the federal level in response to the
outcry from constituents over an Amtrak billboard erected earlier this year
along the West Side of Manhattan, on Riverside Drive, obstructing a state
scenic view along the Hudson.

Despite repeated concerns from members of the community and outcry from
local officials, Amtrak has refused to relent. Under federal law, Amtrak is
exempt from having to follow state and local building and zoning laws,
including those relating to community engagement and response. *Rep.
Espaillat’s *bill would remove this exemption for the construction or
display of advertising, which is not necessary for the proper functioning
of its rail network.

“While we recognize the need for Amtrak to find ways to monetize its assets
to help its bottom line, we strongly believe they need to come to local
communities when they are seeking to make a change like this, and they need
to respect things like scenic views and historic districts,” *said Rep.
Espaillat.* “Surely there was a compromise that could have been made, but
because of this exemption in federal law, Amtrak had no incentive to
negotiate. My bill will change that.”

“The billboard Amtrak installed on its property at West 155th Street and
Riverside Drive has fundamentally altered the skyline of the neighborhood
and is a massive detriment to the beautiful views our community has always
been able to enjoy,” *said Council Member Mark Levine*. “Amtrak did not
consult local residents, community groups, or a single elected official
when they unilaterally decided to drastically change the landscape of our
neighborhood. All we have been asking is for Amtrak to act as a good
neighbor and honor the development standards set by our community by
removing the billboard. Our community stands with Representative Espaillat
in support of his legislation and applauds his strong leadership in getting
this issue resolved.”

The Northeast Corridor, which runs through densely populated and historic
areas from Washington, D.C. to Boston, Mass., is one of the few places in
Amtrak’s network where it owns the right-of-way, including adjacent land.
In other parts of the country, Amtrak operates on track owned by private
railroad companies who do not enjoy the same exemptions.

This event is open to the public and members of the press.

WHO: *Rep. Adriano Espaillat (NY-13)*

*NYC Council Member Mark Levine*

WHAT: Press Conference Introducing AMTRAK Act and to Call for Removal of
the Riverside Amtrak Billboard

WHEN: Monday, October 7, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

WHERE: Amtrak Billboard (Riverside)
West 155th Street and Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10033

RSVP: RSVP.Espaillat at mail.house.gov
<https://espaillatforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=736-538952>
or by phone at 212-663-3900

# # #

First elected to Congress in 2016, Rep. Adriano Espaillat is serving his
second term in Congress where he serves as a member of the influential U.S.
House Foreign Affairs Committee, the House Committee on Education and the
Workforce, and the House Select Committee on Small Business. He is a member
of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC) and serves in a leadership role
as CHC Whip to the Democratic Caucus. He is also chairman of the CHC Task
Force for Transportation, Infrastructure and Housing. Rep. Espaillat’s
Congressional District includes Harlem, East Harlem, northern Manhattan and
the north-west Bronx. To find out more about Rep. Espaillat, visit online
at https://espaillat.house.gov/
<https://espaillatforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=737-538952>.

Media inquiries: Candace Randle Person at Candace.Person at mail.house.gov
<https://espaillatforms.house.gov/components/redirect/r.aspx?ID=738-538952>