[BwayDems] Call on the City to create residential parking permits for upper Manhattan

Pat Almonrode palmonrode at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:31:42 EST 2019

Please forward this email on to others who may want to sign!

Council Member Mark Levine
http://www.marklevine.nyc/

Here's the full petition:

*Call on the City to Create a Residential Parking Permits Program for Upper
Manhattan*

Dear Department of Transportation Commissioner Trottenberg:

As momentum continues to build for the creation of a desperately needed
congestion pricing program in Manhattan's Central Business District, now
more than ever, our City need to address the prevailing issue of suburban
commuters dumping their cars in our neighborhoods
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/nyregion/should-new-york-city-reserve-parking-spots-for-residents-only.html>,
only to transfer to the subway on their way downtown.

[image: Photo_Courtesy-Cassandra_Giraldo_for_the_New_York_Times.jpg]For too
long, suburban commuters have taken advantage of free street parking in
Northern Manhattan and crowded out the people who actually live in our
neighborhoods. Manhattan is already facing a suffocating congestion crisis
that is hurting our economy, threatening the safety of pedestrians and
cyclists, and poses a danger to our environment.

Whether you live in Washington Heights or the Upper East Side, suburban
commuters are increasingly dumping their cars in the morning on their way
downtown, a problem that will be severely exacerbated with congestion
pricing on the horizon.

We can’t afford to continue as one of the only big cities in America that
doesn’t have a residential parking permit system--this policy is long
overdue.

To reduce the number of vehicles from Jersey and elsewhere clogging our
local streets, I strongly urge you to create a residential parking permit
program in Upper Manhattan as called for in Council Member Levine’s
legislation.

Sincerely,

Sign here: http://www.marklevine.nyc/residentialparking
<http://www.marklevine.nyc/residentialparking?recruiter_id=55220>