[BwayDems] Holding the Administration Accountable in the Next Congress

Congressman Jerry Nadler CongressmanNadler at mail.house.gov
Thu Nov 29 13:22:49 EST 2018

NOVEMBER 29, 2018
Click here if you have trouble viewing this email
U.S. Representative Jerrold Nadler
Holding the Administration Accountable in the Next Congress

With a new Democratic Majority in the House next year, I believe the American people have made clear that they want to see a government that is being held accountable to our laws and our democratic principles. In my view, Americans are tired of watching the current Majority fail to address real emergencies such as the family separation crisis, gun violence, voter suppression, coverage for persons with pre-existing conditions, and the potential conflicts of interest and corruption at the highest levels of our government. In the next year, I will work to re-assert our nation’s core belief that we are a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

Confronting the Rise of Hate Crimes & Domestic Terrorism

In October, our nation witnessed three acts of terror including the deadliest attack on the Jewish community in American history, the largest attempted mass assassination of prominent political figures we have ever seen, and the gunning down of two African Americans at a Kentucky grocery store, each carried out by individuals who espoused white supremacist views. Whether it manifests itself as racism, anti-Semitism, or xenophobia, white supremacist-motivated violence must be stopped.

In the wake of these tragic events, I called for the House Judiciary Committee to hold an immediate, emergency hearing to address this wave of domestic terrorism. The Judiciary Committee is charged with confronting the causes of racial and religious violence, assessing the adequacy of federal hate crimes statutes and law enforcement’s ability to address such crimes, and protecting the civil liberties of all Americans. It is our responsibility to respond to this extraordinary threat without delay. To date, our calls remain unanswered by the Majority, but Congress must confront these issues head on, and next year Democrats will make this a priority.

To read my full letter demanding the Judiciary Committee hold hearings on the rise of hate crimes in our country, please click here.

Protecting the Mueller Investigation from Interference

VIDEO: Click here to watch Rep. Nadler discuss the appointment of Matthew Whitaker and Special Counsel Mueller's investigation.

The firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions fits what I believe is a pattern of interference by the President in the ongoing criminal investigation being conducted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller. This is a perilous moment for our country, and if the President abuses his office to interfere in the Mueller investigation, then there will be consequences. The President has appointed Matthew Whitaker as acting Attorney General, placing him in charge of supervising the Special Counsel Investigation and leading the Justice Department. Under these conditions, I believe this appointment is wholly inappropriate.

Mr. Whitaker has a history of opposition to the Special Counsel’s investigation, including writing an op-ed for CNN where he called the investigation a witch hunt. In addition, he was the subject of an investigation led by the Federal Trade Commission regarding his role with a company that allegedly bilked millions of dollars from consumers. I believe he is not just unqualified, but should be disqualified from serving as attorney general because he has not been confirmed by the Senate, and according to the Justice Department’s own succession guidelines, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein would be the proper person to serve as acting attorney general. Instead, I believe the President appointed a hatchet man who would be willing to limit or weaken Special Counsel Mueller’s ability to conduct a fair and thorough investigation.

Following Mr. Whitaker’s appointment, I sent multiple letters to key officials demanding that they preserve all relevant documents related to the Special Counsel’s investigation to ensure all evidence remains safe, and I have called upon the DOJ’s Chief Ethics Official, Assistant Attorney General Lee J. Lofthus, to make a recommendation that Mr. Whitaker recuse himself from this vital investigation. The American people understand that no person is above the law and have demanded accountability from their government. Proper oversight of the Department of Justice must begin immediately, and if the Majority refuses to do so, a Democratic Congress will make this a priority in January.

Get Updates in Real Time
Want to check out more of my work for New York's tenth congressional district? Make sure to follow me on Twitter as well as on Facebook, and YouTube, where you can see more of my work on these and other issues.
Sincerely,
Jerrold Nadler
E-Newsletter Sign Up Contact Me

REACT
Let me know where you stand on the issues. Click here!
CONNECT
facebook
Facebook
youtube