[BwayDems] Letter to Broadway Democrats from Leslie Stroth, Civil Court candidate

TessCanter at aol.com TessCanter at aol.com
Wed May 31 15:38:02 EDT 2017

HON.  LESLIE A. STROTH
300 Cathedral Parkway,  #3A • New York, New York 10026
Dear Broadway Democrats  Member,
I am very proud to be a  candidate for Civil Court Judge in the Upper West
Side’s 5th Municipal Court  District.  As a longtime resident of our
community, I am honored to have  been found highly qualified for the second year in
a row as a candidate for  Civil Court Judge by the New York County
Independent Judicial Screening  Panels. The position of Civil Court Judge is one
that I hold in high  regard, and it would be a privilege for me to serve you in
that  capacity. This is why I am respectfully requesting your vote for my
candidacy at the Broadway Democrats endorsement meeting this Thursday,  June
1st, at 8 pm, at Cathedral Towers, 125 West 109th Street (between  Columbus
and Amsterdam).
My breadth of  experience makes me an ideal candidate to represent our
neighborhood.  I  have been a judge for four years in the Housing Part of the
Civil Court of the  City of New York. Before becoming a judge, I served as a
Court Attorney in the  Housing Court for over six years.  My entire public
service career, both as  a judge and as an attorney, has been devoted to
obtaining fairness, equality,  and equal access to justice for all.  I was found
qualified to be appointed  to the bench by the Housing Court Advisory
Council, members of bar associations,  community groups, city and state agencies,
and the Judiciary Committee of the  Association of the Bar of the City of
New York. I am proud to say that I was  also elected President of the
Association of Housing Court Judges by my most  respected colleagues.
My commitment to public  service spans over thirty years, beginning with my
college and law school  internships at several legal services
organizations, and continuing throughout  my career.  I worked as a Public Defender with
the Legal Aid Society for  eleven years, and was subsequently appointed as
an Assistant Attorney General  for the State of New York, where I litigated a
wide variety of civil cases for  over six years.  For several years, I
volunteered at night in the Civil  Court as a Small Claims Arbitrator, and with
the CLARO program (Civil Legal  Advice & Resources Office), providing legal
assistance to New Yorkers facing  consumer debt litigation.  On a personal
note, my family and I have been  involved in community organizations and
service in our Upper West Side  neighborhood and in Harlem since 1989.  My
husband and I have been devoted  to serving the community in which we are raising
our lovely fifteen-year-old  daughter.
I am privileged to work  every day on behalf of New Yorkers who seek
justice in resolving their  landlord/tenant disputes in Housing Court. I have
demonstrated an  understanding of the issues before me and the impact those
issues have on the  lives of our litigants, a commitment to applying the law
consistently and  fairly, and an ability to maintain a calm and even
temperament. The litigants  who appear before me are, without exception, treated with
kindness and respect  and are given a full opportunity to be heard as they
seek the justice they so  deserve.  I am extremely proud of the work that I
have accomplished on  behalf of New Yorkers in Housing Court, and I hope to
continue providing justice  on a broader scale as a Civil Court Judge
responsible for resolving many complex  and difficult cases affecting litigants who
come before  me.
My passion for the law,  belief in community and public service, and
commitment to helping families and  individuals resolve the most fundamental of
life’s issues with fairness and  compassion, as well as my extensive legal and
judicial background, have prepared  me well for the role of Civil Court
Judge.  I hope you will join with  Public Advocate, Letitia James; City Council
Members, Mark Levine and Helen  Rosenthal; The Broadway Democrats District
Leaders, Curtis Arluck and Paula  Diamond; Three Parks Independent Democrats
District Leaders, Bob Botfeld and  Cynthia Doty; and State Committee
Members, Lynn Thomas and Daniel Marks Cohen,  who have endorsed me as the most
qualified candidate to serve you as Civil Court  Judge.
I thank you for your  consideration.  On Thursday, June 1st, it would be an
honor to  earn your vote.
Sincerely  yours,
Leslie  Stroth