[BwayDems] Broadway Democrats support striking Verizon workers

Pat Almonrode palmonrode at gmail.com
Sat May 14 08:20:37 EDT 2016

Dear all,

At our endorsement meeting on Thursday the club unanimously passed the
following resolution:

*Resolved: That the Broadway Democrats support the Verizon strikers in
their fight for decent pay, better health care benefits, and improved
working conditions by encouraging its members to participate in solidarity
picket lines at the Verizon store at 109th Street and Broadway and urging
its members not to cross the picket lines or shop at Verizon Wireless.*

We encourage all who can to spend some time with the strikers picketing at
the corner of 109th Street and Broadway.

Assembly Member Danny O'Donnell has written a letter to Verizon management;
the text is below and a copy is attached. Please consider writing such a
letter yourself.

Thanks,

Pat Almonrode, President
Broadway Democrats
*on behalf of the Steering Committee*

April 28, 2016

Lowell McAdam

Chief Executive Officer

Verizon Communications

One Verizon Way

Basking Ridge, New Jersey 07920

Dear CEO McAdam,

I write to you on behalf of my constituents and the many other hard-working
New Yorkers who are employed by Verizon Wireless. As you know, over these
past few weeks employees have been on strike in response to the company's
inability to meet their requests. After months of negotiating with workers,
the company is still proposing cutbacks that would jeopardize the wellbeing
and prosperity of workers' families and their communities. Verizon's
treatment of its workers is irresponsible and inexcusable. No company,
especially one with such large profits, should cut employee benefits and
reduce their quality of life as a tactic to make more money. The company's
behavior is not only a detriment to the workers and their families, but
also to our community.

As I have witnessed in my own community, this mistreatment has gone on long
enough. In a recent picket strike on April 15, 2016, I joined a group of
Verizon workers to protest outside of a retail store on 109th and Broadway.
As I listened to their concerns and participated in their demonstration, I
was deeply troubled by Verizon's disregard to help these valuable members
of my community.

I am also disappointed with Verizon's proposals to take jobs away from
middle-class Americans by outsourcing more jobs to the Philippines, Mexico,
and other overseas locations. As I understand it, the company also proposes
to take away good middle-class jobs and use low-wage contractors instead.
Furthermore, I disagree with Verizon's practice of forcibly transferring
technicians far from their families for up to two months at a time. These
changes clearly do not benefit Verizon's workforce; instead they are
shortcuts to make an even greater profit.

In addition, Verizon has failed to meet buildout obligations for its
broadband FiOS network in New York City. I do not doubt this is largely due
to the cutting of nearly 40% of staff over the last ten years. This has
alienated many communities from having access to quality broadband service
and puts them at a severe disadvantage at a time where internet access is
so critical to daily life.

Verizon's continued delays to reach a fair agreement and its determination
to increase profits at the cost of its employees is unacceptable. For a
company like Verizon, which provides jobs and essential services to
millions of people throughout the country, it should go without question
that the company needs to pay close attention to its workforce and
customers, not just its profit margins. In light of the current
circumstances, I request you support a fair contract between Verizon and
the employees who have worked hard to make it successful.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your
response.

Daniel O'Donnell

Assembly Member

cc:
Dennis G. Trainor, Vice President CWA District One
Robert Master, Assistant to the Vice President, CWA District One
Pete Sikora, NYS Political Director, CWA District One
Eric Chenoweth
James Stone