[BwayDems] Press Release: Assembly Member O’Donnell praises Governor & Mayor for Swift Response to North Carolina Anti-LGBT Legislation

Liznel Aybar-Ventura aybarventural at assembly.state.ny.us
Tue Mar 29 10:53:28 EDT 2016

Contact: Nicole Migliore (315) 889-1702 | miglioren at nysa.us

Assembly Member O’Donnell praises Governor & Mayor for Swift Response to North Carolina Anti-LGBT Legislation. Renews Push for A6913 to Ban State Funded Travel to Places that Discriminate

March 29, 2016 — This morning Assembly Member O’Donnell made the following statement:

“I’m very proud and appreciative that Governor Cuomo has banned non-essential travel to North Carolina and that Mayor deBlasio similarly banned travel for NYC employees. It is a strong statement demonstrating New York's progressive leadership on human rights and the belief that all citizens deserve to be treated equally.

The recently passed House Bill 2, signed into law by Governor Pat McCroy, has been called the ‘most anti-LGBT bill in the country.’ House Bill 2 requires multiple-occupancy bathrooms and changing facilities in public schools, government agencies, and public college campuses to be designated for use by people based on the ‘biological sex’ stated on their birth certificate. This is a baseless attack on those that identify as transgender, built on the lies of protecting the safety of citizens from an illusory aggressor.

Not only is the law blatantly discriminatory towards LGBT citizens, it also undermines the rights of local municipalities from creating rules on prohibiting discrimination in public places. House Bill 2 is simply retaliation for Charlotte’s attempt to build a more equal society- a dangerous precedent for the rest of the country.

Unfortunately, it seems that more and more states and municipalities are using this tactic to undermine civil rights. It is less than one year ago that NY banned non-essential travel to Indiana, when the state passed legislation which similarly targeted its LGBT citizens. It is time for NY to send a clear message against such practices.

That is why I introduced A06913 last year, which would prohibit NY State funded travel to states that use the free exercising of religion to wrongfully discriminate against individuals. New York cannot be reactionary in regards to violations of civil rights. We must be a leader for the nation, and act preemptively. I urge my colleagues in Albany to support this bill.”

###

Daniel O’Donnell, the first openly gay man elected to the New York State Assembly, has been a progressive voice advocating fair and sensible legislation since he was elected to represent the 69th District in 2002, including the author and sponsor of New York State’s Marriage Equality Law, which was signed into law in 2011. His district includes Manhattan Valley, Morningside Heights, and the Upper West Side. He serves as the Chair of the Correction Committee, and of the Codes Subcommittee on Criminal Procedure; and is a member of the Education; Codes; Environmental Conservation; Judiciary; Oversight, Analysis & Investigation; and Tourism, Arts & Sports Development committees.

Liznel Aybar-Ventura
Communications Assistant / Community Liaison
Office of New York State Assembly Member Daniel O'Donnell
P: 212.866.3970
F: 212.864.1095