[BwayDems] UPDATE!!! Petitioning for our Congressional Candidates on Saturday

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sat Mar 26 09:44:15 EDT 2016

UPDATE!!! Our candidate for Congress in the 13th, Assemblyman Keith Wright is also joining us today at 12:30 at Central Market on Cathedral Parkway and Manhattan Avenue. Join us to petition for Keith Wright *and* get your shopping done!

See you there!
     Dear Bway Dems -
Pat, Luis, and Paula were out last Saturday in the Spring chill, explaining why the second-most senior member on the House Judiciary Committee has to collect signatures and handling out voter registration forms to people who wanted to vote in the presidential primary. However, since both our congressional candidates. Jerry Nadler and Keith Wright have primary challenges, we need to collect more signatures for them and show our strength!
We will be tabling Saturday morning from 10am, on Broadway and 110th Street, probably by West Side Market but look around for us! Congressman Jerry Nadler will be joining us with his campaign manager.

After that, we'll move over to Central Market on Cathedral Parkway and Manhattan Avenue to petition for Keith Wright.
Also, let us know if you need petitions so you can canvass your building!
Paula, Pat, Curtis, and Luis917-7576058

Btw, I "borrowed" these petitioning tips from the Lexington Democratic Club!

PETITIONING TIPS
Smile when you say that.It is serious business, but if people think you are having a good time they are more likely to stop. Plus, you have to admit, it is a little funny to be standing on a corner in the freezing cold asking about politics at 8:00am. Look into people's eyes.If you are committed to what you are saying you can pull others into being committed. Have a quick ask.You usually only have about one second for people to make a decision to stop when they are walking by you. Ask a simple, short question, i.e. 'Excuse me, sir/ma'am, are you a Registered Democrat?' This sets up a logic chain, getting people thinking about politics in that moment. Not everyone knows the local candidates, but most people know whether they are a registered Democrat. If they say yes, most of the time they will slow up. When they slow have a second, short question ready, such as, 'Do you live in the neighborhood?' Ask everyone and ask them the same question.Some people are more comfortable taking a short second to consider and answer if they are overhearing and not being addressed directly. Average the amount of time per signatureUsually, on a busy corner one signature per two to three minutes or 30 signatures per half hour or 40 minutes is a good rule of thumb. If you are tracking less than this average, you may not be in a high enough trafficked corner.