[BwayDems] Assembly Member O’Donnell Champions Public Education in 2016

Liznel Aybar-Ventura aybarventural at assembly.state.ny.us
Thu Jan 28 16:37:45 EST 2016

NEWS FROM ASSEMBLY MEMBER DANIEL O'DONNELL

Contact: Nicole Migliore 718-440-7574 miglioren at nysa.us
245 W 104th Street, New York, NY 10025

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Assembly Member O’Donnell Champions Public Education in 2016

January 28, 2016 — Assembly Member O’Donnell shared his education agenda for 2016. It includes priorities for a variety of education levels, and encompasses local community and statewide issues. His top three priorities include furthering the Dignity for All Students Act, advocating for the safety of public school students, and promoting reading and the use of public libraries.

In December of 2015, Assembly Member O’Donnell held a Dignity for All Students Act Symposium, where education experts testified on how to achieve effective implementation of New York’s anti-bullying law, the Dignity for All Students Act. Assembly Member O’Donnell shared his next steps:

Looking back on the presentations by experts, it is clear that teachers need to be better equipped to promote inclusive and respectful environments in their classrooms. We need to give all teachers the tools to do that. One option for achieving that goal would be to add a 3 credit diversity course to teacher certification requirements. In 2016 I look forward to working with my colleagues Assemblywomen Cathy Nolan and Deborah Glick to identify the best way to implement that proposal. I was very encouraged by State Education Department Chair Elia’s public commitment at the State Budget hearing yesterday to improving the implementation of the Dignity Act to make schools inclusive and safe environments for all students.

In 2016, Assembly Member O’Donnell plans on focusing on students in the community. In particular, he is very concerned about the impending construction project by Jewish Home Life, a 22 story building located 12 feet away from P.S. 163, as well as the proposed 10 story construction project atop an occupied rental building across the street from PS 75. During an Assembly Budget Hearing on Education on January 27 th , 2016, Assembly Member raised his concerns to Chancellor Carmen Farina, and called on her and the Mayor to intervene on behalf of the health and safety of the students. Assembly Member O’Donnell reiterated his objection to the project:

The students of P.S. 75 and P.S. 163 are currently under threat. Jewish Home Life wants to build a 22 story nursing home 12 feet from P.S. 163. That means there will be a crane swinging over the roof of P.S. 163. There will be an incredible amount of noise and debris that the children must endure for months on end. There is no way to keep the children safe given the scale and time frame of the project. Similarly the students at PS 75 face the threat of a construction project directly across the street from the school that will also create distracting amounts of noise and debris. Mayor de Blasio must step in to prevent this disaster and the city must take a holistic approach to zoning that takes into account the learning environments of NYC’s public school children. The principal, teachers, and parents who have done such a phenomenal job at these schools will undoubtedly suffer negative consequences, including losing students to schools in the southern part of the district.

Assembly Member O’Donnell commends the City and State on having our public education departments led by seasoned educational professionals, such as Chancellor Farina and Commissioner Elia, who have our students’ best interests in mind.

Lastly, Assembly Member O’Donnell is adamant about promoting reading. In 2016 he is continuing the tradition of his Community Reading Challenge and holding Reading Festivals in local libraries. This year he is using the Community Reading Challenge as an opportunity to promote interest in science and technology promoting a theme of outer space exploration. As Assembly Member O’Donnell explained:

My goal this year was to promote a booklist that encourages readers to learn more about outer space, including the history of space expeditions, the science behind it, and the wealth of fiction that the human fascination with space has produced. I want all kids to believe that science can be fun and accessible, no matter their age, gender, or background. The most joyful part of my job as an Assembly Member has been reading and talking to children. I’m looking forward to doing just that this week at our Reading Challenge Festivals on Thursday, January 28 th at Morningside Heights Library and January 29 th at Bloomingdale Library . In case families can’t make those dates, we’re also holding a third festival on Wednesday, February 17 th at George Bruce Library . I look forward to seeing you all there!

The 2016 Reading Festivals will be held at the following local libraries:

Morningside Heights Branch

2900 Broadway at 113th Street

Thursday, January 28th

4:00 - 5:00 p.m.

Guest: Robin Henig , President of the National Association of Science Writers

Activity: Book Reading & Conversation with Robin Henig

Bloomingdale Branch

150 West 100th Street

Between Amsterdam and Columbus

Friday, January 29th

3:30 - 4:30 p.m.

Guest: Ann Marie Cunningham, science journalist and NY Writers Coalition Workshop leader

Activity: Book Reading & Writing Workshop with Ann Marie Cunningham

George Bruce Branch

518 West 125th Street

Between Broadway and Amsterdam

Wednesday, February 17th

4:00 - 5:00 p.m.

Guest: Tish Rabe , author, singer, songwriter

Activity: Book Reading & Writing Presentation with Tish Rabe

Finally, to culminate the Reading Challenge we are working with Columbia University Astronomy Public Outreach to hold a stargazing and lecture night on Monday, February 22nd.

###

Daniel O’Donnell, the first openly gay man elected to the New York State Assembly, has been a progressive voice advocating fair and sensible legislation since he was elected to represent the 69th District in 2002, including the author and sponsor of New York State’s Marriage Equality Law, which was signed into law in 2011. He is currently the Chair of the Standing Committee on Correction. His district includes Manhattan Valley, Morningside Heights, and the Upper West Side.

Liznel Aybar-Ventura
Communications Assistant / Community Liaison
Office of New York State Assembly Member Daniel O'Donnell
P: 212.866.3970
F: 212.864.1095