[BwayDems] Upcoming events, meetings & opportunities from Sen. Espaillat <3/20/15 edition; 73 items>

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter elritter at adrianoespaillat.org
Fri Mar 20 15:42:53 EDT 2015

[image: Inline image 1]

*Friday, March 20th, 2015*

*Dear Neighbor,*

*Pre-K enrollment is now *OPEN*.** See “Programs & Opportunities for Young
People” section below for details. See the “News You Can Use” section on
how you can participate in PlaNYC.*

*Deadlines TODAY** for the W. 191st St. tunnel Art RFQ, the **DDC College
Summer Internship, *and WeACT’s  *Youth Service Learning Program;
**and* *SUNDAY
for* *the **Morgan Stanley **Early Insights Program *and the *Clare Weiss
Emerging Artist Award**. **S**ee below for details. *

*If you’re looking for things to do this weekend, check out Pied Piper’s
production of “Singin’ in the Rain”; Shakespeare Saturdays; activities at
the Morris-Jumel Mansion; clean-ups in Isham & Ft. Tryon Parks, an open
house at Isabella, and of course Councilmember Ydanis Rodriguez’ State of
the District address and so much more. *

*Next week hear personal stories at the Inwood Library and attend a High
Bridge re-opening planning session, help honor women at the Morris-Jumel,
enjoy track & field at the 4th Annual Uptown Games, and more. *

*Scroll down for information about things happening:*

·         *Today & this weekend (23 items)*

·         *Next week (25 items)*

·         *Programs for young people (3 items)*

·         *Arts opportunities (3 items)*

·         *Health, environment, recreation & parks (7 items)*

·         *Roads &transit (3 items)*

·         *General information, ongoing events & news-you-can-use (9 items)*

*And, if you haven’t already done so, sign the online petition to show your
support for the expansion of rent regulation laws that are due to expire in
June: *
*http://www.nysenate.gov/webform/petition-support-expansion-rent-regulation-laws*
<http://www.nysenate.gov/webform/petition-support-expansion-rent-regulation-laws>
*.*

*Please share this e-mail with friends/neighbors. If you know someone who’d
like to subscribe, have them e-mail me with their ZIP code. If you have an
event you’d like to list here, email me the details (text or .doc format,
please, not .pdf or .jpg).*

*Best,*

*Liz Ritter*

****TODAY & THIS WEEKEND*** (23 items)*

*FRIDAY (4 items)*

*Global Thinking, Local Action, Universal Impact (GLU) **Youth Service
Learning Program *It's not too late to apply for the April session of GLU,
which will be focused on environmental justice! This FREE service-learning
program offers an introduction to a particular social justice theme,
provides a global, national, and local view of the topic, and empowers
youth to act locally; to make service, social justice, and civic engagement
part of their lives. The week’s service projects like park and street
clean-up, team-building activities, educational workshops, and group
reflections offer opportunities to make a positive contribution to the
community, meet new friends, and incorporate the learning from the week
into participants’ everyday lives. The April Session will take place
from Monday,
April 6th through Friday, April 10th, 9am-4pm. To apply, please complete
the application and consent forms that can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3lnoYhpyb44M3pmR0RkWFpoaGM/view?usp=sharing
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CentroAltagraciadeFe/c15e76c138/2271e18a09/d65174f685/usp=sharing>
and
return to Tiffany Lee: tlee at centroaltagracia.org. *Application deadline is**
Friday, March 20th*.

*2015 DDC College Summer Internship Programs* The NYC Department of Design
& Construction (DDC) is looking to create a pipeline program that will
introduce college students to careers in the fields of Science, Technology,
Engineering, Architecture/Art, and Mathematics (STEAM). We will be using
DDC projects for holistic educational programming and to develop
curriculum, internships, job readiness programs and mentorships.
Applications are still available for a summer internship program designed
for college students interested in pursuing careers in architecture,
engineering, building trades, public administration, business
administration or information technology. For information go to
www.nyc.gov/jobs, go to Search for Open NYC Jobs and click on Non-Employee
Login, and select Job ID #180596 for Public Buildings Division, #180601 for
Infrastructure Division, or #180606 for Safety & Site Support. Please
indicate in your cover letter whether you will be an undergraduate or
graduate level student for the upcoming Fall 2015 term. *Deadline is
Friday, March 20th.*

*191st Street Tunnel Street Beautification RQF *Are you an artist who
creates large-scale murals in the public realm, but aren’t sure how to
partner with the City to present your artwork? Apply to the 191st Street
Tunnel Beautification Request for Qualification to present a mural within
the 900’ 191st Street Tunnel Street in Washington Heights. DoT will select
up to four artists to present murals on two 200’ long x 10’ high walls.
Visit www.nyc.gov/dotart to learn more about this opportunity and download
the application. *Deadline is Friday, March 20th. *

*Aesthete Quarterly Zine Launch* The obsessive onanistic fury of the
Aesthete Group release upon the world their 5th quarterly publication.
Tonight, they will be presenting some wicked homebrew that has steeped all
winter long in oak casks in the basements of their frostbitten minds.
Complimentary copies of the Winter 2015 issue (very limited first run) will
be provided. At Word Up Community Bookshop, 2113 Amsterdam Ave., at W. 165th
St. Call 347-688-4456 for more information. *Friday, March 20th, 7pm–9pm.*

*SATURDAY (9items)*

*Know Your Educational Rights Workshop Series Workshop #5: *Students’
Rights to Extra Supports. Learn more about Academic Intervention Services
(AIS) and Response to Intervention (RTI). An excellent education begins
with knowledgeable parents. Translation, childcare and lunch provided. Free
for all District 6 parents. In the CEC D6 conference room, 4360 Broadway,
btw. W. 186th & W. 187th Streets in PS48, 5th floor. For more information:
cec6 at schools.nyc.gov or 917-521-3793. *Saturday, March 21st, 10am – 2pm.*

*Free Car Seat Check Event **sponsored by the NYC Department of
Transportation. Stop wondering; find out if your car seat is being used
correctly. Free! At Access Safety City, 672 W. 158th St. (btw Riverside
Drive & the Henry Hudson Parkway). Call 212-839-4750 for more information.
No appointment is necessary. **Saturday, March 21st, 10am - 2pm.*

*Open House – Isabella House*: housing for independent seniors over the age
of 62. Imagine the possibilities; widen your horizons! Our moderately
priced studio and one-bedroom units are spacious, sunny and all boast
spectacular views. We offer exercise and other classes, an on-site
greenhouse, and many other activities, including music, poetry readings,
dancing, movies and trips around the City. Our amenities include lunch &
dinner every day; complimentary basic cable TV and all utilities; 24-hour
emergency call system; library, gift shop, beauty salon, laundry & check
cashing facilities; guest suite for overnight guests; and free on-site
visitor parking. Rentals begin at $2,400/month. Come visit and learn more!
At 515 Audubon Avenue (W. 190th St.) For more information:
212-342-9539. S*aturday,
March 21st, 11am - 3pm.*

*Story Time for Kids (ages 3 and up)* Story Time is back! Bring your kids
to hear their favorite stories read out loud by experienced, trained
readers. At Word Up! Community Bookstore, 2113 Amsterdam Ave. at W. 165th St.
*Saturdays, noon – 1pm.*

*GirlSport: Encouraging Girls to Get in the Game* Calling all girls, grades
K-8: join us for the 3rd annual Police Athletic League (PAL) GirlSports Day
at the Armory Center! This event focuses on getting girls involved I sports
and fitness. Events include long jump; 55-meter dash; obstacle course;
basketball, football, and soccer challenges; fitness tests; and much more. At
the Armory Track and Field Center, 216 Fort Washington Avenue at W. 168th
St. For more information call the Armory PAL at 212-927-0306 or email
jtortora at palnyc.org. *Saturday March 21st, 12:30pm-2:30pm. *(Registration
starts at noon.)

*Women's History Family Workshop *March is Women's History Month, and to
celebrate, the Morris-Jumel Mansion is hosting a *Women's History Family
Workshop*. Make a book telling the story of a woman whom you admire, and
gather around for tales of Morris-Jumel-related ladies, including, but not
limited to, the fabulous Eliza Jumel. The Workshop is free with museum
admission. Advanced registration is required: call 212-923-8008 or email
educationmjm at gmail.com. At the Morris-Jumel Mansion, Jumel Terrace btw. W.
160th & 162nd St. *Saturday, March 21st, 1pm - 3pm.*

*Shakespeare Saturdays Cinema* hosts another free Shakespeare movie through
the Inwood Library. Details of this popular film are at
http://www.nypl.org/events/programs/2015/03/21/shakespeare-saturday-cinema-taming-shrew.
A Curtain Riser composed by Donna Kendall Stearns set to Shakespeare text
will be sung by Lela Frechette, Michael Marcotte, and Vincent Saia. The
film will be shown in the Downstairs Auditorium of the Inwood Library, 4790
Broadway (between Dyckman & Cumming Streets). Free and open to the
public. *Saturday,
March 21st at 2:15 pm**.*

*Singin' In The Rain *presented by the Pied Piper Children’s Theatre, based
on the MGM film classic. At the Theatre Space at Holy Trinity Church
Inwood, 20 Cumming Street (one block north of Dyckman). Tickets are $12 for
adults, $10 for kids <16 / Seniors 62+; available online at
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1188849 or may be reserved in
advance by calling 212-544-2976. Limited “walk-up” sales may be available;
cash/check only. All seating is “general seating”. *Saturday, March 21st at
3pm & 8pm; Sunday, March 22nd at 4pm.*

*Siberiana, a new exhibition at Indian Road Café *of works by Irene
Nedelay, curated by Jeff Hoppa. Opening this Saturday at Indian Road Cafe,
an exhibition of paintings by Siberian artist Irene Nedelay. Deeply rooted
in Russian iconography and Siberian Lubok (naive painting), Nedelay's
paintings conjure a magical narrative world of the imagination. Learn more
at the artist's website: *http://nedelay.com*
<http://jeffhoppa.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=823250897fc770923e6a71e4b&id=d3a7d05795&e=ac740e3a55>
. Join us for a reception on Thursday, April 9th, 6:30pm – 8:30pm. At the
Indian Road Café, 600 W. 218th St., across from Baker Field;
212-942-7451. *Opening
Saturday, March 21st, *through May 8th.

*SUNDAY (10 items)*

*Early Insights Program for Black & Hispanic Students *Morgan Stanley
offers current undergraduate freshmen and sophomores an opportunity to
explore the financial services industry and become familiar with the firm’s
business and culture. In our one-day workshop, you will gain an insight
into the recruiting process, learn resume tips and interviewing techniques,
and network with leaders across the firm. Come learn how we prepare you for
a successful career in finance. Students selected for the program will have
domestic travel expenses paid to and from our offices in NYC. Participation
is limited. For questions, contact msearlyinsights at morganstanley.com. To
find out about additional program opportunities, contact
careerdiscoveryday2015 at morganstanley.com or techshowcase at morganstanley.com,
or visit www.morganstanley.com/careers. *Deadline is March 22nd.*

*Clare Weiss Emerging Artist Award *We are excited to announce that the
2015 award will be taking place at Court Square Park in Long Island City,
Queens! The $10,000 award is granted to one emerging artist who submits the
most compelling proposal for an outdoor sculpture in Court Square. The
location changes annually and is determined based on the site’s visibility
and proximity within a neighborhood underserved by public art. For more
information including RFP and application procedure, visit:
http://www.nycgovparks.org/art-and-antiquities/clare-weiss-award. *The
deadline for applications is March 22nd.*

*Spring Prep Volunteering in Ft. Tryon Park *The Friends Committee of the
Fort Tryon Park Trust invites you to spend an hour or two making the world
a cleaner and greener place. Sign up at our volunteer / info table at the
entrance. We supply all tools and work gloves. Stay for refreshments
afterward. Heavy rain cancels. All ages are welcome. Do you need certified
volunteer hours for work, or your child for school? Why not come to your
own neighborhood park?! Meet at Margaret Corbin Circle, at the top of Fort
Washington Ave.* Sunday, March 22nd, 10am to 2pm.*

*Volunteers for Isham Park Clean Up* Now that the weather has moderated
somewhat, I plan to be back out in the park doing some trash pick-up and
would like to invite anyone with an hour to spare to pitch in. With the
funds left over from the centennial celebration of 2012, I have bought a
few litter grabbers for VIP, so these are available for volunteers. Believe
me, they make trash gathering much easier and actually quite painless. I
plan to be out on Sunday morning, weather permitting, at around 10 am. This
may not be an ideal time for all, but there is a community meeting with our
City Councilman, Ydanis Rodriguez, in the afternoon that I will attend on
behalf of the committee. If I hear from some of you, I will bring the
grabbers. RSVP/questions: email Tim at
volunteersforishampark at gmail.com. *Sunday,
March 22nd at 10am *(weather permitting).

*Macy's Sunday Story Time at the New York Historical Society.* Hear a
different tale every Sunday of NYC and the people who made it great from
the seventeenth century to present day. Ages 3-7. Free with Family pass
from cool culture (to obtain info on how to register your family for the
family pass reach out to your school's staff). The New York Historical
Society is located at 170 Central Park West at W. 77th St. *Sundays at
11:30am.*

*State of the District Address *Councilmember Ydanis Rodriguez cordially
invites you to attend his annual address: “Lifting our Community Together
through the Power of Education, Economic Development, Affordable Housing
and Quality Health”. At the George Washington Educational Campus, 549
Audubon Ave. RSVP to cmrodriguezevents at gmail.com. *Sunday, March 22nd at
2pm *(doors open; program starts at 2:30pm).

*Marjorie Eliot & Parlor Entertainment Present* The 3:30 pm Sunday
Concerts, a series of jazz concerts in Marjorie Elliot's apartment which
have taken place for the past 23 years. Marjorie has now added Theatre-At-
Six-Thirty, Plays Written by Marjorie Eliot at 6:30 pm. Both jazz and
theatre performances will take place every Sunday through the end of the
year. No charge, but donations are appreciated. 555 Edgecombe Avenue, 3F
(Ring #107). Info:  212-781-6595. *Sundays at 3:30p, & 6:30pm. *

*Singin' In The Rain *presented by the Pied Piper Children’s Theatre, based
on the MGM film classic. At the Theatre Space at Holy Trinity Church
Inwood, 20 Cumming Street (one block north of Dyckman). Tickets are $12 for
adults, $10 for kids <16 / Seniors 62+; available online at
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1188849 or may be reserved in
advance by calling 212-544-2976. Limited “walk-up” sales may be available;
cash/check only. All seating is “general seating”. *Sunday, March 22nd at
4pm.*

*Sunday Concerts at The Lounge* The HVG Performing Arts Group cordially
invites you to: Keyboard Classics, a program presenting three great
masterpieces in the piano literature to celebrate HVG's ongoing Steinway O
restoration. The program will include Sergei Prokofiev's Sonata #7 (*The
Stalingrad*), Modest Mussorgsky's *Pictures at an Exhibition* and Robert
Schumann's glorious *Fantasy*. Come and hear the newly restored piano shine
with these epic works in concert. Pianists will include Alan Moverman,
Joseph Kissner and Evelyne Luest. At the Lounge at Hudson View Gardens: 128
Pinehurst Avenue at West 183rd Street. $12 donation includes post-concert
reception with the artists. *Sunday, March 22nd at 5pm.*

*Showing UP *UP Theater has invited uptown artists and alum to present
works in progress, a piece of a play, a short story, a chapter, a joke, a
dance, a painting, an aria, a rant, a rave, a pitch, a catch a trick, and
idea, an inkling… As long as it’s “half-baked and brand-spankin’!” (Note:
artists may have been processed in factories containing nuts, or may, in
fact, actually be nuts.) At Inwood UpstART, 93 Cooper St., btw Isham & W.
207th St. Free and open to the public. Space is limited. *Sunday, March
22nd at 7pm.*

****NEXT WEEK*** (25 items)*

*DFTA Budget Hearing *Help advocate for $33 million In new funding for
senior services! Every year because of your advocacy, 300 older adults fill
City Hall's Chambers to send a strong message for more funding for senior
services. We know this is short notice, but we just learned that the
hearing will be in the big room, City Hall's Chambers. The aging network
has never lets us down bring as many seniors as you can; there's room for
300! Service providers and older adults are encouraged to testify. You can
register at the hearing that day; go up to the front of the Chambers to the
Sargent and sign up. To let us know how many seniors you are sending, email
advocacy at cscs-ny.org. Questions/comments: Bobbie Sackman, Dir of Public
Policy, bsackman@ <bsackman at liveon-ny.org>liveon <acianfrani at liveon-ny.org>
ny.org <bsackman at liveon-ny.org> or Andrea Cianfrani, Deputy Dir of Public
Policy acianfrani at liveon-ny.org. *Monday, March 23rd at 10am. *Please
arrive at 9:30am to get through security and find seats.

*The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School is looking to fill our new 5th
grade class* that will begin in August and seeks 4thgraders in District 6.
We have one more open house, and our lottery will be held on April 2nd.
Families who are interested in TEP are encouraged to complete an
application. Parents can mail, fax or hand deliver the application. At TEP
Charter School, 549 Audubon Ave. at W. 193rd (in the trailers on the GWHS
campus). For more information, call Monica Rivera, Operations Manager, at
646-254-6451, x7305. *Monday, March 23rd, at 6pm.*

*Lead a Jane’s Walk in Your Community!* Each year, in the spirit of the
great urban activist Jane Jacobs, MAS hosts 100+ free guided walks that
celebrate New York City's diverse neighborhoods. *We need your help!* This
year, we're aiming for the biggest, and best, Jane's Walk yet. We're
looking for bright, energetic people to lead Jane's Walks throughout the
five boroughs on May 1-3. You don’t have to be an expert; you only need to
have a passion for New York City. We'll be conducting two (optional)
training sessions to make your walk a success - join us! You supply your
ideas, and we'll supply pizza and refreshments. Aren't able to lead a walk
yourself? Suggest someone to us using this link:
http://www.mas.org/janeswalk/suggest/. *Monday, March 30th, 6pm – 8pm or
Wednesday, April 8th, noon – 2pm. *

*College Affordability & the American DREAM* Join the Barack Obama
Democratic Club for this important panel discussion. The panelists,
including members of NYPIRG and the New York Urban League Young
Professionals, will discuss the student loan debt crisis and how it hinders
upward mobility and passage of the DREAM Act. At the Church of the
Intercession, W. 155th St. at Broadway. *Monday, March 23rd at 6:30pm
(doors open at 6pm). *

*Bridging Our Stories: Washington Heights and Inwood Oral History Project**!
*Celebrate the launch of our historic oral history project at The New York
Public Library. This is a neighborhood oral history project that works to
both preserve and document Washington Heights and Inwood history through
the stories of people who have experienced it. More than 90 volunteer
interviewers have been trained to collect these stories. Interviews will be
preserved at The Milstein Division of US History, Local History and
Genealogy and available in a circulating collection. Interviews will also
be accessible (and eventually searchable) in full length at the following
website: http://oralhistory.nypl.org/neighborhoods/washington-heights-inwood.
Our evening will be an informal opportunity to celebrate the exciting start
of the oral history project, as well as dream up ideas for the future of
this historic project, including A live oral history interview recording with
*Crossing Broadway *Author (and project interviewer) Rob Snyder + Tony
Marx, NYPL President, who grew up in Inwood, and local musicians Marjorie
Eliot (pianist) and Gaku Takanashi (bass). Inwood Branch Library, 4790
Broadway at Cumming St. (2nd fl.). We'll have light refreshments, but feel
free to bring food or drinks to share! *Tuesday, March 24th, 6:30pm - 8pm. *

*Community Forum: Towards Inclusive & Accessible Healthcare for the
Transgender Community* The transgender and gender non-conforming community
is one of the most underserved populations in healthcare. Join us for a
panel discussion and open forum on the barriers to accessible healthcare
for New York City's transgender community. Our experts will share their
experiences, answer questions, and provide insight on how we can create
truly inclusive transgender healthcare. At the Metropolitan Hospital Center
(1901 1st Ave., 6th fl. Auditorium). To RSVP, please email
metlgbt at nychhc.org or call 212-423-7292. *Wednesday, March 25th, 6pm – 9pm.*

*Uncommon Ground – Hurricane Sandy and Climate Change: Predictions &
atmospheric scientist Adam Sobel. Native New Yorker Adam Sobel is an expert
on extreme weather and climate change. A professor in Columbia University’s
Engineering School and Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, he is the author
of over 100 peer reviewed research articles and the recipient of several
awards in his field. His critically acclaimed book, *Storm* *Surge:
HurricaneSandy, Our Changing Climate, and Extreme Weather of* *the Past and
Future**,* published in October 2014 by Harper-Collins, has just received
the 2014 Atmospheric Science Librarians International Choice Award in the
popular category. Reception and book-signing to follow. At the Arsenal,
Central Park, 830 5th Ave. Free, but seating is limited; RSVP at
212-360-1358 or *https://rsvpuncommonground03252015.eventbrite.com*
<https://rsvpuncommonground03252015.eventbrite.com/e/uncommon-ground-hurricane-sandy-and-climate-change-predictions-and-responses-tickets-15543597318>.
*Wednesday, March 25th, 6pm – 8:30pm.*

*High Bridge Grand Opening Planning Meeting* Significant progress has been
made on the reconstruction of the historic High Bridge and we are honing in
on preparations for the High Bridge's reopening this summer and its future.
Please join NYC Parks, Partnership for Parks. the Harlem River Working
Group and the Highbridge Coalition for a Planning Meeting on the reopening
of the High Bridge. NYC Parks will present a proposed framework for a
series of events and activities on the High Bridge's reopening based on the
constructive input we've received to date. Partnership for Parks and other
Highbridge Coalition members will lead a discussion on ways you or your
community organization can collaborate in these or other activities related
to the reopening. At the Highbridge Recreation Center , 2301 Amsterdam Ave.
at W. 173rd St. *Wednesday, March 25th, **6:30pm -8:30 pm *and at the
Highbridge Green School, 200 W. 167th St. in the Bronx on Monday, March 30th
at 6pm.

*Theology on Tap with some Latino flavor *"Teologia in the Heights" is
geared toward young adults (21+) to explore different themes about life,
faith, and justice from a Catholic perspective, influenced and enriched by
our Latino culture. Join us for our next  event with guest speaker: Mr.
Larry Rich, former Executive Producer at Maryknoll Productions, for a
conversation on "Lives for Sale: Migration and Human Trafficking." At the
Heights Tavern, 3910 Broadway. To rsvp on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/380018985512086/
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?CentroAltagraciadeFe/c15e76c138/2271e18a09/ea993aafa1>.
*Wednesday, March 25th at 6:30pm.*

*Introduction to the NUTS & BOLTS of Filmmaking for Short films **Imelda
O’Reilly*, a filmmaker and former NYU Assistant Professor will lead this
three- part workshop series. Ideal for actors, writers or anyone who wants
to start or continue to develop their writing techniques. Participants can
choose an idea to develop into a short screenplay. Material covered will
include tools and formulae to help you develop the craft of screenwriting.
She will also cover basic directing techniques. Ignite your imagination and
learn new ways to embrace the cinematic language of storytelling. Part 1 –
Structure, Character, Story; Part 2 – Dramatic Action & TENSION - Film as a
Visual Medium; Part 3 – Techniques and Formulae to help Dramatize your
work. *$20 for NoMAA members; $50 for non-members.* At the Inwood Center,
5030 Broadway, 6th floor. *Space is l*imited; RSVP required:
info at nomaanyc.org
<https://west.exch030.serverdata.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=fX23A0SguU2GsDgWV2nO0QnNESgDFdIIAMtVkw2qFHeZ2FkRIEIfVK4KDvNrp8k3jBM0IjIhaeI.&URL=mailto%3ainfo%40nomaanyc.org>.
*Two remaining sessions: Wednesdays, March 25th* &* April 1st, 6:30pm -
8:30pm.*

*33rd Precinct Community Council Meeting* At Mt. Calvary Baptist Church,
St. Nicholas Avenue at W. 162nd St. *Wednesday, March 25th, 6:30pm.*

*34th Precinct Community Council Meeting* At the Campbell Sports Center, W.
218th St. & Broadway. *Wednesday, March 25th, 7pm.*

*Is that an Empanada in Your Pocket or Are You Just Happy to See Me?* Meat
pies, dirty books, hump day! Join Abigail Ekue (author of *The Darker Side
of Lust*) and Jeff Musillo (author of *The Ease of Access*) for a book
signing, author talk, and sex-positive Q&A. This event is 21+; adult themes
will be discussed during the event. Open to all genders and orientations.
Free empanadas! At Word Up Community Bookshop, 2113 Amsterdam Ave., at W.
165th St. Call 347-688-4456 for more information. Wednesday, *March 25th,
7pm – 9pm.*

*Judaism & Social Justice: Essential Concepts* with Rabbi Jill Jacobs. Gain
a deeper understanding, rooted in Jewish source texts, of the Jewish
tradition’s fundamental commitments to the dignity of all human beings and
the creation of just communities. Open to the public; learners of all
levels and backgrounds are welcome. Texts will be available in original and
English translation. Texts will be available in original and English
translation. At the Cornerstone Center (178 Bennett Ave., @ W. 189th St.);
(enter building at southernmost entrance, then up two flights of stairs).
RSVPs encouraged but not required:
http://ftjc.org/2015/02/judaism-and-social-justice-essential-concepts/. $5
requested donation. Final session; you needn’t have attended previous
sessions.* Wednesday, March 25th, 8pm – 9:30pm. *

*Beauty & Health Expo* with the 181st Street Business Improvement District.
We will provide complimentary hair and make-up consultations, health and
nutrition evaluations, nail art, product samples, discounts, refreshments,
and much more. RSVP toaramirez at whbid.org. At Banco Popular, 615 W. 181st
St. *Thursday, March 26th**,** 5pm - 7pm*.

*KidCinemaFest: El Regreso del Viento del Norte **(The Return of the North
Wind) *Atthanasius, whom we left a defeated prisoner in the Mic-Mac’s
tribal village in Newfoundland, has managed to release the evil North Wind,
who in turn has spread a dangerous ice cold freeze throughout the land. Only
the children, our friends, Watuna, Peiot and Anne, inheritors of the secret
legendary pact, with help from their friends and ally, the Sea, will be
able to recapture the North Wind and once again restore the necessary
balance in Nature. An animated film directed by Maite Ruiz de Austri (Spain
/ 72 min. / In English). At the Alianza Dominicana Cultural Center, 530
West 166th St. (at Audubon Ave.). *Friday, March 27th 3pm.*

*2015 High School Internship – Manhattan DA’s Office *See “Programs &
Opportunities for Young People” section below for details. *Applications
due Friday March 27th.*

*Celebrate Women’s History Month *Join Senator Espaillat, Councilmembers
Ydanis Rodriguez & Mark Levine in honoring Councilwoman Julissa Ferreras,
Isabella’s Betty Lehmann, Manhattan DA’s uptown office Director Joselinne
Minaya and Northern Manhattan Riverstone’s Laura Ruiz. Live music and
refreshments. Free and open to the public. At the Morris-Jumel Mansion, 65
Jumel Terrace btw. W. 160th & W. 162nd St. *Friday, March 27th at
6:30pm-8:30pm*.

*Word at 4F Poetry Series* presents Women's HERstory Celebration Join
Wordat4F the last Friday of each month at Word Up. This month, we celebrate
Women's History Month, with a performance and discussion on women's issues
by Elizabeth Acevedo, Mariela Regalado, and Vanessa Martir. $5 at the
door—proceeds donated to Young Women Rock! At Word Up Community Bookshop,
2113 Amsterdam Ave., at W. 165th St. Call 347-688-4456 for more
information. *Friday, March 27th, 7pm–9pm.*

*4th Annual Uptown Games *Join the New York Road Runners at the
world-famous Washington Heights Armory for a day of track and field events
for youth in the 3rd – 8th grades. Come with your school’s team, by
yourself, or with some friends, but come! For more information or
pre-registration, call 212-544-0173 or email eventsRSVP at adrianoespaillat.org.
At the Armory, 216 Ft. Washington Ave., @ W. 168th St. *Saturday, March
28th,** 11am* -* 3**pm. *(Registration begins at 10am.)

*Live Well Health, Wellness & Beauty Expo *Are you over-worked and
exhausted by the demands on your time from your career and family? Is
stress impacting your health, mood, and weight? The NYS Health, Wellness &
Aesthetics Chamber of Commerce is hosting a health, wellness & beauty expo
to help business owners and attendees struggling with stress to experience
healthier, happier and more fulfilling lives. At the Attic Rooftop Lounge,
251 W. 48th St., 16th floor. For more information call 718-424-4242. *Saturday,
March 28th,* *2pm* - *6pm.*

*Wine Tasting *Take a spirited, unstuffy taste tour of red and white
vintages harvested from some of the world's finest wine-growing regions
with sommelier *Christian Galliani*, CEO of *Wine for the 99*, as your
expert guide. Afterwards, take a physical tour of the Morris-Jumel Mansion,
learning more about the Palladian house on the hill that wine merchant
Stephen Jumel once called his home. Tickets are $25 per person and $20 for
members. Space is limited, and advanced registration is required: call
212-923-8008 or email educationmjm at gmail.com. At the Morris-Jumel Mansion,
65 Jumel Terrace btw. W. 160th & 162nd St. *Saturday, March 28th, 3pm -
5pm.*

*Gagá Pa'l Pueblo* Usually taking place every Sunday in the summertime at
Anne Loftus Playground at Fort Tryon Park, Gagá pa’l pueblo is a gathering
of folks preserving, enhancing, and practicing Afro-Dominican traditional
music. During the winter months, the celebration comes indoors to our stage
once a month. At Word Up Community Bookshop, 2113 Amsterdam Ave., at W. 165
th St. Call 347-688-4456 for more information. *Saturday, March 28th, 5pm –
7pm.*

*Film Screening: Forest Memories *Filmmaker Oren Rudavsky will screen and
discuss his film, Forest Memories, about the era of the refuseniks. At
Congregation Ansche Chesed, 251 W. 100th St. For more information or to
RSVP call 212-865-0600. *Sunday, March 29th.*

*Strangers in a Strange Land: Jews and Latinos on Stage *Excerpts of three
new plays exploring the crossovers and divisions in Jewish and Latino
culture. The event is presented by the *Dream Uptown Arts Series* and will
be held at the Alianza Dominicana Cultural Center, 530 W. 166th Street at
Audubon Ave. This is a project of the Fort Tryon Jewish Center in
collaboration with Jewish Plays Project, with community support provided by
UP Theater Company. We are also looking for a volunteer (or two!) for our
first event! Volunteers needed Sunday, March 29 from 5:30pm – 9pm (flexible);
volunteers to assist with set up and breakdown, greet attendees, and be an
enthusiastic audience member. Interested volunteers should contact Melissa
Moschitto at melissamoschitto at gmail.com. *Sunday, March 29th at 6:30pm**.*

****PROGRAMS & OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUNG PEOPLE (3 items)****

*Pre-K Enrollment is now OPEN!* This year, for the first time, every
four-year-old in New York City will have access to this life-changing
educational opportunity, with roughly 70,000 children expected to enroll.
Last fall, New York City enrolled more than 53,000 children in full-day
pre-K at district schools, charter schools, and NYC Early Childhood
Centers. This year’s expansion means more programs, seats and opportunities
in every borough and neighborhood, ensuring enough capacity to accommodate
every child, regardless of zip code or means. Because of free Pre-K for All
programs, the average family saves more than $10,000 each year in childcare
costs. The application process open through April 24 at nyc.gov/prek, by
calling 311, or at a Family Welcome Center. Text ‘PREK’ to 877877 to find
nearby pre-k programs.

*People’s Theatre Project FREE Saturday Theatre Program, “To Be Heard”, for
Teens (13-17) *Middle and high school students will choose a social theme
to explore, and work together to create their own original theatrical
collage to address the topic. Each week, a professional artist will engage
the young actors in theatre games and activities to facilitate the creation
and performance of a collection of scenes, monologues, movement, music, and
spoken word pieces. Saturdays, April 18th - June 6th, noon - 3pm. Visit
http://www.peoplestheatreproject.org/#!to-be-heard/c205c to register.
Registration
now open! No experience necessary. Enrollment will be considered on a
first-come first-served basis. All programs take place at the Alianza
Dominicana Cultural Center, 530 W. 166th St. @ Audubon Ave. All programs
are FREE! *Registration open through March 29th. *Unfortunately the “Circle
Up” program for kids, 6-12, is full.

*2015 High School Internship – Manhattan DA’s Office *The NY County
District Attorney’s High School internship program is a rigorous six-week
internship that provides students with an insider’s view of the criminal
justice system and law enforcement. Every intern is assigned to a unit
within the office and helps Assistant District Attorneys and other staff
members with their work. Interns also attend presentations and trips and
prepare for a mock trial competition. Open to Manhattan residents only;
must be a rising junior or senior (i.e., currently a sophomore or junior);
must commit to attend entirety of program from July 6, 2015 – August 14,
2015, Monday-Friday, 9am – 4:30pm. Email completed application to
HSIP at dany.nyc.gov: include completed form, proof of address, current
resume, essay of 500 words or less, and a letter of recommendation for
school. For more information call Denise Liriano (212-335-3055) or Jennifer
Cariño (212-335-9064). *Applications due Friday March 27th.*

****ARTS OPPORTUNITIES (3 items)****

*March & April at the Hebrew Tabernacle's Gold Wing *Come see the current
exhibit, *Moments of Contact by Diana Schmertz*. Diana Schmertz’ paintings
of hands and fingers enfolded or in their own little bubbles, invites the
viewer to engage at a distance as well as at close range, simultaneously to
understand relationships from both the subjective and the objective, the
ordered and the chaotic. 551 Fort Washington Avenue at W. 185th St. Call
212-568-8304 for open hours. Through April 29th.

*2015 Call for Artists! *The Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance (NoMAA)
announces a call for artists for the 12th annual Uptown ArtStroll this
June. Artists from Washington Heights, Inwood and West Harlem (W. 135th -
220th Streets). The Stroll showcases the painters, photographers, writers,
musicians, sculptors, actors, dancers and filmmakers of Northern Manhattan.
See these links for more information and how to participate.
http://www.artstroll.com/how-to-participate/,
http://www.artstroll.com/how-to-participate/submit-booking-info/,
http://www.artstroll.com/how-to-participate/list-your-open-studio/,
http://www.artstroll.com/how-to-participate/submit-your-venue/. See you at
the Stroll!

*William Shelton: Morris-Jumel's First Curator* This new exhibit collects
Shelton's various writings and acquisitions (he wrote a very readable, if
sometimes errant, biography of Morris-Jumel, and was instrumental in the
decorating and arranging of the Mansion's period rooms for public display),
as well as artistic representations of the man by fellow members of the
Salmagundi Club of New York, the art society Shelton helped found in 1871.
The exhibit, being held in partnership with the Salmagundi Club (located at
47 5th Ave.), is free with Museum admission. At the Morris-Jumel Mansion,
65 Jumel Terrace (btw. W. 160th & W. 162nd Streets, one block east of St.
Nicholas Ave.) *On display* *through April 20th.*

****HEALTH, ENVIRONMENT, RECREATION & PARKS (7 items)****

*PLAY BALL! The Buczek Little League Registration is Now Open *Enrollment
is now open for the Police Officer Michael J. Buczek Little League
Baseball. If you missed the on-site registration, you can still register
online. For faster enrollment, you can register at
http://www.buczeklittleleague.com/. If you have any questions, please call
the 34th Precinct at 212-927-0287. And save the date for the opening day
parade on Saturday, April 18th at 11am.

*Mac & Cheese Recall *Kraft Foods Group is recalling approximately 242,000
boxed dinners which may contain small pieces of metal. The recall is
limited to the 7.25-oz. size of the *Kraft* Macaroni & Cheese Boxed Dinner
Original Flavor with the “Best When Used By” dates of September 18, 2015
through October 11, 2015, with the code “C2” directly below the date on
each individual box. For more details on this recall, read this release
from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm438700.htm. For other food recalls
visit foodsafety.gov/recalls
<http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTUwMzE5LjQzMTM0MjYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE1MDMxOS40MzEzNDI2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTkxNTAzJmVtYWlsaWQ9ZWxvcnJpc3JpdHRlckBnbWFpbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWVsb3JyaXNyaXR0ZXJAZ21haWwuY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&101&&&http://www.foodsafety.gov/recalls/index.html>
.

*You MUST Recycle Your Electronics Waste *Beginning January 1st, it became
illegal to discard electronics in the regular trash; they must be recycled.
Now, effective April 1st, failure properly to dispose of electronics waste
carries a $100 fine. Read more here:
http://www1.nyc.gov/site/dsny/resources/initiatives/e-cyclenyc.page

*Free Zumba and Cooking Demos from NMIC* The Northern Manhattan Improvement
Corporation (NMIC) will be hosting free community Zumba classes and cooking
demos! Free Zumba classes will be held at the United Palace of Cultural
Arts located at 4140 Broadway (at 175th St.) beginning Monday March 16th.
All fitness and experience levels are invited to this fun dance-inspired
workout to great music! Please register in advance online at:
http://emblemhealthlivehealthy.com/upcoming-events/. Children ages 13- 16
years old are welcome if accompanied by parent or guardian; children under 13
may not attend. This program is presented to you by NMIC and Inwood
Community Services, Inc. with support provided by EmblemHealth. *Mondays &*
*Thursdays* *at* *7pm** ***sharp*.*

*Improving the Tree Health of Isham Park *The NYC Department of Parks &
Recreation has planted over 13,000 trees in northern Manhattan parks and
our street network since the start of MillionTreesNYC. As part of NYC
Parks’ overall effort to improve tree health and public safety, trained NYC
Parks foresters surveyed every tree in Northern Manhattan parks to identify
trees in poor health and those severely impacted by storms. At Isham Park,
35 trees are slated for removal and replanting. Tree removals are set to
begin March 23rd. A fall planting contract will follow, which will include
shade trees, understory native trees, conifers and trees evocative of the
park’s estate period. The Isham Park water service capital project, which
will be completed later this spring, will help NYC Parks sustain the new
trees. For more information, contact Jennifer.Hoppa at parks.nyc.gov.

*Help Save a Life: Learn CPR. *You can make a difference in saving a family
member, friend or co-worker! The FDNY / EMS has a mobile training unit to
provide FREE on-site training. Staffed by FDNY EMTs who are certified AHA
CPR instructors providing New Yorkers with the skills needed to save a
life. In approximately 25 minutes, this course will teach you
compressions-only cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and how to use an
automated external defibrillator (AED). This course can be conducted in
English or Spanish and is a skill-based course designed specifically for
the general public. Courses are scheduled based on availability at the time
of your call, between the hours of 9am-7pm, Monday-Friday, and some
Saturdays. Call 718-281-3888 for more information, or visit
www.nyc.gov/fdny/cpr.

*Partnerships for Parks Conference* The Partnerships for Parks Conference
provides community groups, park supporters, and open-space advocates an
opportunity to unite and learn how local park stewards strengthen
neighborhoods and improve the quality of life in New York City. We are
excited to share a day with park enthusiasts from all five boroughs and to
share best practices, tools, and resources we have honed over our 20 years
of successfully supporting community partners and transforming communities.
Workshops will include: Partners for Park Groups: Organizations to Know;
Getting Green $ for Your Green Space; Best Practices from P4P; Parks as a
Catalyst for Community Change; Volunteer to Lead: Planning Successful
Volunteer Projects in Your Park; and Greening NYC: Street Tree Care Tips
and Citywide Resources. At the NYU School of Law, 40 Washington Square
South. Complimentary entry but RSVP required. Register here:
http://www.cityparksfoundation.org/partnerships-for-parks/conference/ and
check for more information on speakers and workshops. *Saturday, April
11th, 9:30am - 3:30pm.*

****ROADS & TRANSIT (3 items)****

*Overnight Lane & Shoulder Closures on the Major Deegan Expressway *
*(northbound)* due to scaffolding and shield removal on the High Bridge.
Please be advised that, weather and field conditions permitting, there will
be a right lane closure as well as a shoulder closure, on the Major Deegan
Expressway, northbound. These closures are necessary in order to proceed
with the scaffolding and shield removal involved with the rehabilitation of
the High Bridge. Be prepared for traffic delays and use alternate routes.
Flaggers will be posted near the High Bridge work site (approaching section
between exits 7 and 8 of Major Deegan Expressway, northbound. Emergency
vehicle access will be maintained at all times. For more information, call
Marlyn Nuñez at 718-588-2564 or email highbridgeccl at gmail.com. *Overnights
March 23rd - 25th, 10pm – 5am.*

*Highway Lane Closures on the Harlem River Drive *(southbound) due to
scaffolding and shield removal on the High Bridge. Please be advised that,
weather and field conditions permitting, there will be a right lane closure
as well as a shoulder closure, on the Harlem River Drive, southbound. This
closure is necessary in order to proceed with the scaffolding and shield
removal involved with the rehabilitation of the High Bridge. Be prepared
for traffic delays and use alternate routes. Flaggers will be posted near
the High Bridge work site. Emergency vehicle access will be maintained at
all times. For more information, call Marlyn Nuñez at 718-588-2564 or email
highbridgeccl at gmail.com. *Overnights March 25th, 10pm – 2am on March 26th.*

*Overnight Lane & Shoulder Closures on the Major Deegan Expressway *
*(southbound)* due to scaffolding and shield removal on the High Bridge.
Please be advised that, weather and field conditions permitting, there will
be a right lane closure as well as a shoulder closure, on the Major Deegan
Expressway, southbound. These closures are necessary in order to proceed
with the scaffolding and shield removal involved with the rehabilitation of
the High Bridge. Be prepared for traffic delays and use alternate routes.
Flaggers will be posted near the High Bridge work site (approaching section
between exits 7 and 9 of Major Deegan Expressway, southbound. Emergency
vehicle access will be maintained at all times. For more information, call
Marlyn Nuñez at 718-588-2564 or email highbridgeccl at gmail.com. *Overnights
March 25th - 28th, 10pm – 5am.*

****NEWS YOU CAN USE: RESOURCES, CLASSES & ONGOING EXHIBITS ETC. (9
items)****

*Participate in PlaNYC! *The City of New York is currently updating
PlaNYC—New York’s City’s blue print for the future. Every four years, the
Administration creates a plan to address New York’s City’s growth,
sustainability, and resiliency. This year, Mayor Bill de Blasio has added
equity as a key element of the plan—recognizing the importance of every New
Yorker having access to opportunities. We need your help to make sure that
as many New Yorkers as possible can weigh in on this important process. We
want to make sure that PlaNYC reflects all of our ideas and vision. We
would like all New Yorkers to answer the question, “how can we make our
City better and stronger for our shared future?” Filling out the survey will
enable you to LEAVE YOUR MARK and share your ideas for how our City moves
forward. Click here: http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/planyc-survey.page,
and don’t forget to forward the survey link to a friend once completed! It
is offered in seven languages in order to ensure that all voices are heard.
Thank you, in advance, for participating in the #FUTURENYC.

*The* *Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) *is a special federal tax program
that helps low- and moderate-income working individuals and families reduce
their income taxes and put more money in their pockets. The credit reduces
the amount of federal tax owed, and may even result in a refund. If a
qualifying individual or family owes income tax, EITC will reduce the
amount of taxes owed. If your tax credit is more than your tax bill, you
will receive a refund check—even if you don’t owe any taxes. Furthermore,
New York State offers its qualifying residents an additional tax credit
equal to 30% of the federal EITC for the previous tax year.

To qualify for EITC, workers can file as “single,” “head of household” or
“married filing jointly.”

·         If you are a worker with *one qualifying child,* your total
earned income and your federal adjusted income must each be less than *$39,131
(or $44,651 for married workers).*

·         If you are a worker with *two children, *your total earned income
and your federal adjusted income must each be less than *$44,454 (or
$49,974 for married workers).*

•        If you are a worker with *three or more children,* your total
earned income and your federal adjusted income must each be less than *$47,747
(or $53,267 for married workers).*

·         If you are *a worker without children, *your total earned income
and your federal adjusted gross income must each be less than *$14,820 (or
$20,330 for married workers).*

Workers with qualifying children must file federal income tax return form*
1040* or *1040A *and must complete and attach Schedule EIC. Workers without
qualifying children can file any tax form — *including form 1040EZ.* A
correct name and valid Social Security number must be provided for every
person listed on the tax return and Schedule EIC, including infants born
before December 31. *If this information is incorrect or missing, the IRS
will delay the refund. *For more information on the federal EITC, call the
24-hour Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Hotline at 1-800-TAX-1040, or visit
www.irs.gov, or go to
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/EITC-Home-Page-Its-easier-than-ever-to-find-out-if-you-qualify-for-EITC.
For more information about the New York State EITC, call the informational
hotline of the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance at (518)
457-5181, or visit www.tax.ny.gov. (
http://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/credits/earned_income_credit.htm.)

*Free Tax Preparation Assistance *It’s tax time: go get your refund! The
New York Public Library can help. You can prepare and file your tax return
electronically with some help from a tax assistant...all for free. To
participate in this free program, you must: earn less than $60,000 (per tax
return); have a valid e-mail address and basic computer skills; bring all
necessary documentation and information. For more information on
participating libraries and the information you’ll need to file your taxes,
go to http://www.nypl.org/taxhelp or call 311 and ask for free tax
preparation assistance. At the Inwood Branch Library, 4790 Broadway near
Dyckman St. *Wednesdays, 11am – 1pm; Fridays & Saturdays, 10am – 1pm,
through April 15th.*

*More Free Tax Preparation Assistance *provided by the Food Bank for NYC
for single adults making $20,000 or less and adults w/ children making
$53,000 or less. Bring your Social Security card or Tax ID number for all
family members, W-2s for all jobs you held in 2014 & any other tax-related
documents, and a sample check or deposit slip with routing number and
account number if you want direct deposit of your refund. Note: you also
may qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit! Two locations in our
District *through
April 15th:*

·         Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC), 45 Wadsworth
Ave. (between W. 175th & W. 176th Sts.), 1st fl. For more information, call
(212) 212-822-8300 or visit www.nmic.org. Tuesday –Thursday, noon - 7pm and
Saturdays, 9am - 5pm.

·         Centro Evangelistico Pantry, Northern Manhattan Improvement
Corporation (NMIC) 148 Post Ave. (between W. 207th & 10th Ave.). Tuesday
–Thursday & Saturday, noon - 7pm (also Mondays, noon-7pm in February).

*Help the High School for Media & Communications *The High School for Media
& Communications’ Senior Class (at George Washington High School Campus)
has requested our help in winning a Lord & Taylor contest that would award
them $10,000 for their Senior Prom Dance. Share a picture on Twitter or
Instagram and tag Lord & Taylor - @lordandtaylor - with the hashtag #BNEGW.
Please help them win this contest. You can write something like "Supporting
the HS 4 Media & Communications Prom Dance @lordandtaylor #BNEGW " Thank
you so much for supporting our youth!

*Benefits Checklist for Older Adults *now available from the Brookdale
Center for Healthy Aging*.* Updated for 2015 This is an essential resource
for anyone who advises or assists elderly individuals in New York State –
from lawyers, accountants and financial advisers, to social workers, nurses
and doctors. Free! Visit
http://brookdale.org/benefits-checklist-for-older-adults/ for more
information.

*FY 2016 NYC Council Discretionary Funding *applications are now available!
Please note deadlines.

·         *FY 2016 Non-City Capital* is only for non-profit and cultural
organizations interested in applying to the City Council for funding of
Non-City Capital Projects. Please follow this link to retrieve the
applications and instructions:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/capgrants/capgrants.html
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zNeDv9dNItWC-lczuZa1SISzT6TJAUsN-ncbF7EcytGP3D8HAtHF52EROXB5fqvKEGEBXozIGQSluDfGx9SYeLGKzzcWtmFdoFVOoFXTKpxBMW2TZzOId2QxvfCPQtqa-baA26xhqFx-3hcWEZQJC47nsCEuuSwF4oB0O2EA4MPhdA52AgHgEcAd_L6kuHltKiFQhk1hRq7CqF8DHQ9CDjzBOdZ8f3ayl5fGDGXRz3P2MqHksmUE4z54mUpeoTYy-HQ0Ixma_nltpB0zjOC8kqP2zEaDxbno4RyHxS8oyJHnSXGj47pIYBOYWBVRimw6t0wOcmr_n1qFTBdt9gfHKvQKo7NKbwrCe1Pvjt-VAPTC-EWpGVctBxJ_KhEfeIrQj-ZE1bgomwSR25TDbvydiDjrk_QqSN51DLAQl_UitB_V8fPpYHmKk8zjsfO6asZFre3NCYH4BDOtD1BK3xHPPIWQ6p48PlJW9G9kNar8-ICmrLLFH2eqQLr8AG9I9Yy2V0eoaTiw_j6VYrIMXhKZng==&c=5h32dUI9YRuAEWauAbjiOmiodz1YRTn38B9vhD4oLqo8gZ6ZsamFvA==&ch=95y2eflGzIEj3US3beBme7ELcQzLuFoOwmWhAh53y8eNKDV5sYMGGQ==>.
*Note: Capital allocations to city agencies (for example, for city-owned
parks and recreation facilities, city streets, branch libraries, CUNY
projects) are not required to submit this application. **Deadline: New York
City Council applications are due by* Thursday, *March 26th. *

·         *FY 2016 Capital for Schools/ Reso A* for NYC DoE schools: Schools
interested in applying for capital improvements or Reso A grants *do not *need
to fill out the non-city capital application. Schools are asked to contact
Council Members individually and write a proposal letter for projects they
wish to have considered for funding. Send to: Carmen De La Rosa, Chief of
Staff, Office of Council Member Ydanis Rodriguez: cdelarosa at council.nyc
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zNeDv9dNItWC-lczuZa1SISzT6TJAUsN-ncbF7EcytGP3D8HAtHF52EROXB5fqvKFjUyj90zG1--_1_3ysETfHCl7_kuU570zkCKwBE4pjfuJ2lv4BFulX96txVOIAFXttfZIheb_T8EWao3XUjJR1VeDtHg34gHK7sQAXXuu0R7seHsMMUTVv9X8bRVaVDU71jUVHIHcrVLERDMATCm1FgZzONEO7gmWDvEyNY2UpKVW4RuUoBWwgI0UAbQZ5D5orBMjUXhTQDaBksXuTzqmW29D9fLtX6K6sWWjlvPuKrBcXGK0wuYJd7qfOB0P_6yI1ZbRQ427iPKHSMrmsu0NCRWQgnO8s-EvkeLYdEOXEbx4NKiEn0clcAZx60YDregVDyQkoSMucx6cUnLKAIHkB0SHB3tX7riNu96hIy_m_jvcm0ajwrZhzZdHVa9KLsnSrC5SLMn1dEt4bo5W5kL8lVkd9N8UxLyVcU5QcgyeSY=&c=5h32dUI9YRuAEWauAbjiOmiodz1YRTn38B9vhD4oLqo8gZ6ZsamFvA==&ch=95y2eflGzIEj3US3beBme7ELcQzLuFoOwmWhAh53y8eNKDV5sYMGGQ==>.
*Deadline:* Thursday, *March 26th.*

*Other Sources of Funding:*

·         *Manhattan Delegation*: Please note that in order for groups to
be considered for expense and capital funding through the Manhattan
Delegation, groups must submit the supplemental applications below. The
Manhattan Delegation supplemental applications are accessible online.

·         *City Capital Application*:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SuqfvC6VKHqHc9uotQz5DrAoOKc
v4UigL8Eo8TFOno/viewform
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SuqfvC6VKHqHc9uotQz5DrAoOKc%20v4UigL8Eo8TFOno/viewform>*.
Deadline: Thursday, **March 26th at 5pm.*

If you have additional questions or concerns please contact to Carmen De la
Rosa, Chief of Staff to Councilmember Ydanis Rodriguez (212-788-7053 /
cdelarosa at council.nyc.gov
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001zNeDv9dNItWC-lczuZa1SISzT6TJAUsN-ncbF7EcytGP3D8HAtHF52EROXB5fqvKYCT2p7tp7SMlSOhvFP1Vc5pSeBjG0c082rCr6qRKNNorPSJZb3hFyofqAMTPgKvUYblOTd8W3dVf12SSWp_qoD6HQI3a0XbxPWpv3tCpSgp51yncfWk8AwnhYF99qa042PtUWXTA6CqoBxA08hMVhI2Irj8tkrywLivB-pPnNd3Pm6zOWsH-AryF3yZkhrAWVk7HplFWhr1WM_HD7jrPTgN6FQFcMGhegXp1AKBHAAli-a7Re9mylUV7MMeD-xgqHQw2ZuFOMDImHwIBETn_j13qKG_R63Dlg9fBVZVvTlZlDwiD2dSkjdNEkarZ0bCGomRf-cB-kexEHo3eSMZLArqcYaMnxXGwhCZ5BPw86StY4E4xaC1zlghNVCOdA5wgTdGaEkbwdMOHi3x7KwxUWdIqimc3okP38XAfQbPaeBY=&c=5h32dUI9YRuAEWauAbjiOmiodz1YRTn38B9vhD4oLqo8gZ6ZsamFvA==&ch=95y2eflGzIEj3US3beBme7ELcQzLuFoOwmWhAh53y8eNKDV5sYMGGQ==>.
or Amy Slattery, Legislative & Budget Director (aslattery at council.nyc.gov /
212-788-7007).

*How to Start and Run A Successful Retail Business *presented by the New
York Women’s Chamber of Commerce, with Princess Jenkins, visionary founder
of The Brownstone. At City College of New York, W. 137th St. & Amsterdam
Ave. Material Fee: $50. For more information or to register, contact
Lawrence Miles: 212-491-9640 / lmiles at nywcc.org. Four consecutive
Thursdays: April 2nd, 9th, 16th & 23rd, 1pm – 4pm.* Space is limited;
register now!*

*Participatory Budgeting *Join your community and in voting for how we
spend $1M through Participatory Budgeting. Pledge to vote here (
http://council.nyc.gov/html/pb/votepledge.shtml) for details and a reminder
closer to voting time. Participatory budgeting is a grassroots process
through which district residents vote directly to allocate at least $1
million in capital funding toward proposals developed by the community to
meet local needs.  Through a series public meetings, residents work with
elected officials for a year to identify neighborhood concerns and craft
proposals to address them. Residents then decide which proposals to fund
through a public vote. Good government groups hail participatory budgeting
as a powerful tool to increase civic participation and community
engagement. The only identification requirement is proof of residency in
the district; voting in participatory budgeting is open to all residents 16
years of age and older, removing traditional obstacles to full civic
participation such as youth, income status, English-language proficiency
and citizenship status. *Voting will take place April 11*th *– 19th* *across
both the 7th and 10th Council Districts.* (You can get a sneak peak of the
10th CD projects at the SOTD on March 22nd!)

--------

Elizabeth Lorris Ritter

Community Liaison

State Senator Adriano Espaillat, 31st SD

5030 Broadway, Suite 701 NYC 10034

(212) 544-0173 (ph)

(212) 544-0256 (fx)