[BwayDems] Fwd: How You Can Help

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sun Mar 16 15:31:05 EDT 2014

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: Melissa Mark-Viverito <mviverito at council.nyc.gov>

Dear Friends,

Since Wednesday's tragic building collapse, so many of you have reached out to offer your help and support. Today, I am pleased to announce that, at the request and urging of my office, the Mayor's Fund to Advance NYC has established a special East Harlem Building Collapse Relief fundraising effort. I thank Mayor Bill de Blasio and First Lady Chirlane McCray for working with my office to establish this relief fund and for all that they have done in the days since this tragedy.

The East Harlem Relief Effort will aim to address the short and long term needs of the individuals, families and businesses stemming from Wednesday morning's building collapse. Contributing to this effort - in any amount you can - is the best way to get help directly to those in need. Click here to donate and be sure to select East Harlem Building Collapse Relief Effort.

Funding will be utilized to create a victims assistance fund for expenses related to housing, funerals and replacing lost possessions, long-term case management and counseling services, and specialized outreach to El Barrio's immigrant communities. Local community based organizations like Union Settlement and Little Sisters of the Assumption will be among those providing these important services.

The fund has already received pledges from a range of entities, including the families and Board members of the East Harlem Tutorial Program, the Real Estate Board of New York, Con Edison and the Association for a Better New York. I thank them for their generosity.

I invite you to join these organizations and businesses by making a contribution now to help our neighbors recover from this tragedy.

Additionally, non-perishable items are being collected at two locations: the East Harlem Merchants Association (309 E. 108th Street, 212-427-1445) and La Casa Azul Bookstore (143 E. 103rd Street, 212-426-2626). I thank Raphael Benavides and Aurora Anaya-Cerda for organizing these drives.

Together, we will provide the immediate relief and ongoing support that our neighbors need in this difficult time.

Gracias,
Melissa