[BwayDems] VOTE in the Congressional Primary Tomorrow, Tuesday, June 24th

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:06:36 EDT 2014

Dear Broadway Democrat:

Tomorrow, those of us who live in the 13th Congressional District will be voting in a congressional primary election. (The 13th District includes Manhattan Valley and above West 122nd Street. If you aren't sure which district you live in or where your polling place is, check here Poll Locator) Our Congressman, Charles Rangel faces a strong challenge and needs all of
us to get to the polls and support him on June
24th. Below are some of our reasons we support
Congressman Charlie Rangelfor re-election.

Paula:For the last 25 years, living in Manhattan Valley, Charles Rangel has been my
congressman. While redistricting lines moved up and down through our club area,
I was fortunate enough to keep Congressman Rangel. I remember the first time I
met him up-close-and-personal as club president and how impressed I was by him.
One of the reasons I was so impressed by Congressman Rangel from the beginning
was that I had been learning about him in my graduate school program. My focus
at the time was affordable housing development and Congressman Rangel was the
father of LIHTC, or the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program. Created by the
Tax Reform Act of 1986, LIHTC is responsible for approximately 90% of all
affordable rental housing created in the United States today. Congressman
Rangel looked around his district, where affordable apartments were so
desperately needed, and he responded with one of the most influential affordable housing programs ever. He continues today by
spearheading legislation to protect mortgage holders in the current mortgage
crisis and legislation to protect the rights and dignity of people living in
public housing.

Luis:Congressman Rangel has been my Congressman since 1971, when I was a 4 year old
growing up in Grant Houses. In those 40 years, he has been one of the people
primarily responsible for the economic rejuvenation of Harlem and has been one
of the strongest spokespersons for our values, remembering those in distress
and offering a hand up to our brothers and sisters. This year, Congressman
Rangel faces a very serious challenger in State Senator Adriano Espaillat.
While Senator Espaillat has been a strong representative for Washington
Heights, Congressman Rangel's record, both in creating opportunities for his
constituents, and as a national voice on issues of civil rights, drug policy
and military policy make him the better choice in this election.

Paula:Another reason I was so impressed by Congressman Rangel, then and now, is his
stature as a spokesman for low-income people and people of color. One of his more
controversial acts has been to advocate for a return to the military draft. A
combination of sincere anger and a reductio
ad absurdumargument, Rangel has continued to make as
much noise as he can about America sending poor people and young men and women
of color to fight battles that most Americans don’t want their children
fighting. Whether Democrats take back the House or not, Charlie will
continue to act as a spokesman for those who no one else speaks up for.

Luis:Congressman Rangel's top seniority in the house has been a great benefit to President Obama and a great benefit to his
district, enabling him to fight for a bigger share of federal dollars for
programs to assist his constituents and giving us a greater voice in the
affairs of the nation. Whoever follows Congressman Rangel will be on the lowest
rung of seniority, which will greatly decrease our influence in Congress.

This race has drawn national attention, and
that attention of conservative PACs from as far away as Texas.  These groups have funded advertisements and
mailings attacking Congressman Rangel, in a cynical attempt to silence our
voice in Congress.  We must send a
message with our votes that we, and we alone, will decide who represents us in
Congress.

On Tuesday,
June 24th, we urge you to come out and vote for Congressman Charles Rangel in the Congressional primary
election. Congressman Rangel's record of achievement in his twenty-two terms as
Harlem's Congressman has earned our support. Every vote will count in this
primary!!!

PaulaDiamond Roman,DemocraticDistrictLeader, 69th AD part C
LuisRoman,BroadwayDemocrats'Vice-President
120
West 109th Street #3E
New
York, NY 10025