[BwayDems] [Rep. Rangel] Statement by Congressman Charles B. Rangel

Solano, Socrates Socrates.Solano at mail.house.gov
Fri Oct 25 17:52:02 EDT 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Hannah Kim 202-225-4365
Rangel Works with Dominican Ambassador to Ensure Protection of Dominicans of Haitian Descent and Migrants
Oct 24, 2013
New York, NY - Congressman Charles B. Rangel released the following statement to address the concerns of his constituents regarding the Dominican Republic's Constitutional Court decision ruling on September 23, 2013, regarding nationality which modifies retroactively legislation which bestowed citizenship on persons born in the Dominican Republic during the period 1929-2010:

"On Wednesday I convened a meeting between the Dominican Republic Ambassador, Aníbal de Castro, and several Members of Congress to discuss the recent Dominican Republic's Constitutional Court ruling that would affect the citizenship status of migrants to the Dominican Republic after 1929, throwing into doubt the status of hundreds of thousands of people who have never known any other national identity. I urged my friend, Ambassador de Castro to convey to his government, the necessity to clarify this ruling and our deep concern for the Dominicans and migrants deemed 'in transit'.
I was pleased by his attentiveness to our questions and his indication that we would have an official response shortly. Today, we received a statement from the Dominican Government that offers more details, including the announcement of a report on the ruling's impact on foreigners registered in their system, to be presented within 30 days. In addition, within 60 days the National Council for Migration will present a Regularization plan for foreigners. The statement emphasizes the need to provide the affected persons with temporary resident permits until the regularization plan is in place, which will include routes to residency and citizenship.
In addition, the President of the Dominican Republic Danilo Medina said in his meeting today with the National Council for Migration that this issue must be resolved and instructed the Council to review all aspects of this ruling. There have been a lot of concerns among the constituents in my congressional district, which includes Washington Heights, Inwood, Harlem, and the Bronx, who fear that after living in the Dominican Republic for all their lives that their loved ones might be at risk for deportation and be considered stateless. It would not be in the interest of the international community to have a group of stateless individuals and families.
My Colleagues and I look forward to continue working with the Dominican government to ensure that the Dominicans of Haitian descent and migrants are treated fairly within Dominican laws and international norms."
SEE ENCLOSED LETTER or Download the official response letter by the Dominican Ambassador

* » Letter to Rep. Charles B. Rangel (Embassy of the Dominican Republic).pdf<http://rangel.house.gov/sites/rangel.house.gov/files/Letter%20to%20Rep.%20Charles%20B.%20Rangel%20%28Embassy%20of%20the%20Dominican%20Republic%29.pdf>

Socrates S. Solano
District Representative
Congressman Charles B. Rangel
United States House of Representatives