[BwayDems] For the consideration of Broadway Democrats

Noah E. Gotbaum noah.gotbaum at gotbaumforcouncil.com
Thu May 9 18:02:37 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrats,

First, I’d like to thank you for your consideration for your endorsement in
Council District 6.

I come from a family of labor and social activists, and was raised to fight
for progressive causes. For me, fighting for working families and for
those whose voices are not easily heard has never been optional – it’s a
core part of what it means to be a responsible citizen.

I got my start in public service in 1980, working for Senator Edward M.
Kennedy, and over the last three decades I have built and led organizations
in the public, private, and non-profit sectors.

In the mid-1980s, *I founded New York Cares, the country’s largest
volunteer organization* – mobilizing 60,000 New Yorkers to serve over
500,000 New Yorkers in need every single year. *As the CEO of one of New
York’s largest recycling companies,* I played a key role in ending the 2002
moratorium on recycling and in starting up e-recycling. *As the President
of Community Education Council 3,* I organized thousands of parents and
neighbors to fight overcrowding and establish the first new district
elementary school on the Upper West Side in over 40 years. I fought for
ALL parents and community members in District 3, successfully working to
prevent the closure of Wadleigh High School in Harlem, keeping Innovation
Diploma Plus from being thrown out of Brandeis, and keeping Success charter
out of PS 145 and 165 in Manhattan Valley.

And I always try to make sure that I am living my life in line with my
principles. I don’t just fight for our schools – I send my children to them
and am the only candidate running in the 6th District with children in New
York City public schools. I also am the only candidate who has come out
unequivocally against the DOE’s proposals to sell and demolish PS 199 and
PS 191, in favor of yet another luxury high-rise. **

Our city is at a crossroads, and we need strong, progressive leadership on
the New York City Council. We need to ensure that public education is
supported and nurtured after years of failed “reform.” With rents going up
and neighborhoods changing, we need to ensure that affordable housing is
always available to West Side families. We need to fight for development
that benefits communities, not developers – and not everybody in this race
can claim to be doing so.

I have a proven track record of bringing together diverse communities and
interests to accomplish progressive change – and as a councilmember, my
fight will continue.

Thank you Broadway Democrats for your consideration – and I would be
honored to receive your support!

Noah Gotbaum

*noah eliot gotbaum*
*independent democratic candidate for city council*
*www.gotbaumforcouncil.com*
*facebook.com/gotbaumforcouncil*
*twitter: @noahegotbaum*