[BwayDems] For Your Consideration: Helen Rosenthal, Democratic Council Candidate for the 6th District.

Ahmed Tigani ahmed at helenrosenthal.com
Thu May 9 16:42:17 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrat,

It was a pleasure to meet you as Chairwoman of Community Board 7 (CB7) when
I spoke with your Club in 2007 and 2008. I recall your comments were
thoughtful and reflective of the diverse community you represent. I’m
delighted to have an opportunity to come before you as a Candidate for NYC
Council, District 6. Your May awards, presented to US Congressman Jerry
Nadler and The Grant Houses Residents Association reflect my values as
well—for progressive leadership and community building. It is for these
reasons that I am asking for your endorsement, to be your next District 6
City Councilwoman.

Over the last twenty-five years, I have watched with you as our City has
been reshaped by unprecedented local, national and global events. With our
economy in flux and public services struggling, we need leaders who are
able to produce tangible results on the many issues facing our community.

I want to be your advocate on policies that will keep our neighborhoods
strong. Having served as a lifelong community activist with government
experience balancing the City’s budget, I have a proven track record of
tangible results for the Upper West Side:

- *Maintaining and Growing our Affordable Housing* NYCHA’s intent to
sell public land to a private developer is an outrage and must be stopped.
I was proud to vote for the CB7 resolution in opposition to the sale. I’ve
worked closely with the NYCHA residents in CB7 and was honored to be
selected by the PSA for the Community Council Fellowship Award in 2008. In
addition, as Chairperson of Community Board 7, I led the Board's efforts to
preserve affordable housing for the Jewish Home and Hospital's retired
employees in addition to maintaining the Mitchell Lama status of Trinity
House.

- *Creating Jobs; Finding Jobs *As Assistant Director for Health in the
Mayor’s Budget Office, I helped create a funding stream for the *Primary
Care Development Corporation*. This innovative model would go on to
transform primary care delivery in underserved communities across the city
and state while financing the building of 90 new primary health care
centers, creating 2,300 good paying jobs, and lowering healthcare costs
while improving patient outcomes. As Board Chair of *ParentJobNet,
located in PS84*, we provide job training and counseling to help public
school parents find jobs.

- *Protecting our Public Schools** *For nearly a decade, I’ve fought
against charter co-locations, closing public schools, high stakes testing,
grading public schools, and overcrowding. I will continue to be vigilant
to stop the sale of public land for private gain. Like you, I was
captivated by Participatory Budgeting. My eyes were opened as a Budget
Delegate and Chair for Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito’s PB Education
Committee and I was delighted to be asked to join the international
Participatory Budget Project Board. Working with parent leaders on the CEC
Overcrowding Committee, we challenged the DOE’s assertion of 1,500 empty
seats by completing a strategic data analysis. The DOE ultimately agreed
with our numbers and PS452 was created. As Chair of CB7, I laid the
groundwork for a 150,000 square foot public school, K-8, as part of the
development at Riverside Center (PS/IS 342).

Moving forward, our community will be faced with difficult questions that
dig deeply into issues like out-of-size residential and commercial
developments, re-thinking job access and creation programs, challenging the
expansion of natural gas pipelines into our neighborhoods, making our
community more accessible for seniors and those with disabilities and
expanding affordable housing options for modest-income families and elderly
residents. I am prepared to apply my experience and ideas to solving these
issues as your public servant.

The Upper West Side is my home and the well of inspiration the drives my
work in issue advocacy. I'm eager to have this opportunity to work
alongside you, as organizers and neighbors, to make sure the kind of
policies that can most positively impact the lives of New Yorkers become
the priorities of the next administration and Council.

As a Democrat, a candidate, and a fellow Upper West Sider who shares your
values, it would be an honor to have your endorsement.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Helen Rosenthal
AskHelen at HelenRosenthal.com
Democratic Candidate for NYC Council, District 6

Learn more about our campaign by visiting
*www.HelenRosenthal.com<http://www.helenrosenthal.com/>
*
Connect with the campaign on Facebook at *Helen Rosenthal For City Council*
Follow Helen on Twitter *@HelenRosenthal*

*P.S. Early endorsements** the campaign has received to date include:*

- Former Councilwoman Ronnie Eldridge (6th District, 1989-2001)
- NYS Senator Liz Krueger
- NYS Assemblywoman Deborah Glick
- Former Assemblyman Guillermo Linares (72nd District, 2010-2012)
- Michael Moore (film maker)
- Gloria Steinem
- Kate Michelman (President NARAL Pro Choice America, 1985-2004)
- Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1700
- Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1179
- Heat & Frost Insulators & Allied Workers Local 12
- Ed Ott (Labor Leader, Former Executive Director New York City Central
Labor Council)