[BwayDems] Jessica Lappin for Manhattan Borough President

Jessica Lappin peopleforlappin2013 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 15:13:52 EDT 2013

*

Dear Broadway Democrat:

I am writing to ask you for your support to become Manhattan’s next Borough

President. I hope you will take a minute to read on and learn more about
me, my

work, and my vision for the Borough Presidency. And, after doing so, I hope
you will

choose to vote for me at the Broadway Democratic Club’s upcoming
endorsement meeting.

Over the last 7 years in the City Council, I have not been just a champion
of progressive

causes and policy, but a leader who gets results on issue after issue. And
my “steely

resolve, dedication, and energy”— to borrow the words of the New York
Times—are

qualities I bring to every battle I take on.

While I represent the East Side on the City Council, my work has made a
difference here in Morningside Heights in many important ways. I’m proud to
have:

-

landmarked Morningside Park as the Chair of the Subcommittee on
Landmarks, Public Siting and Maritime Uses and strongly supported the
creation of a Morningside Heights Historic District;

-

overseen the approval of 20,000 new public school seats across the city;

-

crafted the city’s new crane safety legislation to protect both workers
and residents;

-

led the charge to prevent 160 churches from worshipping on a regular
basis in our schools and opposed the NYPD’s current use of stop and fris
k.

As a legislator, I have also worked on issues that affect the entire
borough. I am

particularly proud of my work on women’s issues and women’s health and

reproductive rights. Since I took office in 2006, I have:

-

written groundbreaking legislation, praised by Planned Parenthood and
NARAL Pro-Choice New York, to regulate crisis pregnancy centers and
expose anti-choice front groups trying to undermine our right to choose;

-

co-sponsored and voted for every important piece of pro-tenant
legislation in the Council;

-

fought to provide paid sick leave to nearly a million New Yorkers and
helped pass living wage legislation to raise salaries for low-wage
workers;

-

kept 100 essential senior centers from closing and restored funding for
Meals on Wheels and home care as Chair of the Council’s Committee on Aging;

-

been hailed as “one of the leading environmental lights on the City
Council” by the League of Conservation Voters for my leadership in
expanding our recycling laws.

-

helped lead the fight to bring the Cornell-Tech campus to Roosevelt
Island which will create 30,000 new jobs in the decades ahead.

More than any other candidate, I believe I combine a deep commitment to
progressive values and action with an even deeper record of results on
issues that are important to Manhattan Democrats and all the people who
call Manhattan home.

But I’m running for Borough President not just on my record, but on my
ideas and vision for the office. I recently issued an important policy
paper on community board reform, which you can read on www.jessicalappin.com.
And I’m focused on the issues that matter: building new schools to the
neighborhoods that need them most, bringing new jobs to the borough, and
expanding affordable housing while preserving the qualities that make each
of our neighborhoods unique.

Each week, our campaign adds important new endorsements that give us a
broad and diverse coalition from all across the borough. I have earned the
endorsement of Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, State Senators Liz Krueger,
Jose Serrano and Brad Hoylman, former State Senator Tom Duane and
Assemblymembers Micah Kellner and Dan Quart. And we have the support of
many of the leading labor unions that have long been the heart and soul of
the Democratic Party, including 32BJ SEIU, UFCW Local 1500, the Teamsters
Joint Council 16, and the Mason Tenders District Council.

I hope I can count on your support, and your vote, too.

Sincerely,

Jessica Lappin

*