[BwayDems] I will listen to you and fight for you

Robert Jackson robert at jackson2013.com
Tue May 7 12:12:18 EDT 2013

Dear Broadway Democrats,

It was great visiting with so many members at your Sunday gathering. Over
the years, we have met on the streets of our community, in your homes, your
phone banks and at your club meetings. Working together, we have made a
difference in the lives of our community, our city and our country. Now as
a candidate for Borough President, I ask for your support on Thursday.

* *

*I am a lifelong progressive Democrat. I know who I am. I know what I
believe. I know how to get things done. And, I’ve got a record to prove
it. I am running for Borough President to be an advocate for our children,
a fighter for our neighborhoods and an energetic leader for all of
Manhattan. *

As a student at PS 186, we didn’t have much and I never dreamed that one
day I would be a leading member of the City Council, co-chair of its Black,
Latino and Asian Caucus and Chair of its Education Committee. But it was
possible through hard work, not giving up, getting a good education and the
help of teachers and people in the community. That’s why I’ve worked hard
throughout my life to knock down barriers and make sure that every child
has the same chance to succeed that I had.

It’s why as a Community School Board President I sued the State to fix a
broken school funding formula that cheated our children, then walked 150
miles to Albany to build support for the cause and won a court judgment
that brought home $16 billion for NYC public school children. It’s why I
continue to fight every day in the City Council to make sure every one of
the 1.1 million public school children get the best education possible and
sponsored the resolution to stop co-locations and school closings.

It’s why I’ve fought to protect seniors and prevent the people who helped
build our neighborhoods from being pushed out because they can no longer
afford to live there, why I sponsored legislation to help small businesses
and protect them from unaffordable rent increases and why I’m fighting to
protect workers’ rights and for paid sick leave. It’s why I’ve worked to
make our neighborhoods safer by getting guns off the street through working
with community groups, sponsoring Buy Back Programs and advocating for
stronger state and federal legislation. And it’s why I am now sponsoring a
resolution in the City Council to put us on record to ban fracking in New
York State.

*I will listen to you and fight for you as your Borough President. I’ve
been endorsed by Mayor David Dinkins, State Senator Bill Perkins, the UFT
and elected, education, community, labor and religious leaders across
Manhattan. *

*I am ready to lead this borough and I ask for your support on Thursday*.
And if you do, this movement will continue to grow and not only win this
campaign, but it will also shape the direction of our city government, to
make Manhattan and our city stronger and life better for families today and
for generations to come.

Sincerely,

Robert Jackson