[BwayDems] A Holiday Gift from Bloomberg - Decision on Leasing Public Housing Land Will Be Left to de Blasio

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Fri Dec 20 17:26:41 EST 2013

Decision on Leasing Public Housing Land Will Be Left to de Blasio
Mireya Navarro. The New York Times, December 20, 2013

The Bloomberg administration will not make any decision about a plan to
lease public housing land to private developers and instead leave it to
the new mayor — who has objected to the controversial initiative.

New York City Housing Authority officials said this week that they “do
not expect to move” on designating any construction project before the
end of the year and will instead leave their plan, devised to generate
revenue for badly needed repairs and renovations, as “a strong
foundation” for Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio to pursue.

The incoming mayor has voiced objections to the plan that allows
developers to build mostly market-rate units, rather than just
affordable ones. Both the City Council and public housing residents
filed lawsuits to halt any deals before the inauguration.
A spokeswoman for Mr. de Blasio, Lis Smith, said the new mayor had been
clear in his opposition to the land-leasing plan as drafted and that
“for any plan to be considered,” it must create affordable housing and
jobs for public housing residents.

John B. Rhea, the authority’s chairman, defended the land-leasing plan
as a workable strategy to tackle the agency’s estimated $6 billion
shortfall for capital improvements.

“We’ve been working collaboratively with the de Blasio transition team
to put them in the best possible position to move Nycha forward,” Mr.
Rhea said. “We feel we’re giving this administration a jewel.”

After soliciting construction proposals, officials said they had
received viable ideas for leasing land at six housing projects that
could yield the agency an average of $37 million a year – which could be leveraged, they said, to finance $700 million to $900 million for
capital upgrades.

Mr. Rhea said the proposals addressed many of the concerns raised by
critics about the land-lease strategy, including the need for more
public review and approval from the City Council. Mr. Rhea, who has led
the financially troubled agency since 2009, said he would submit his
resignation later this month.

The proposals would build on 11 plots that are currently parking lots,
sports fields and other open spaces, and would generate revenue for
exterior and interior upgrades to buildings with more than 9,000
apartments at the six sites, officials said. About 3,600 rental
apartments would be built, including 720 permanently affordable ones,
they said.

“We hope that they do leave it to the next mayor, and that de Blasio
will sit with us and talk with us,” said Ginger Lopez, an organizer with Good Old Lower East Side, one
housing group which opposed the land-leasing plan. “We’d like to be at
the decision-making table at the very beginning.”