[BwayDems] Tell Obama No Social Security Benefit Cuts

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Wed Apr 3 13:49:44 EDT 2013

Tell Obama No Social Security Benefit Cuts

News reports indicate that the President will include in his proposed 2014 budget the "chained CPI" formula for calculating the annual cost of living adjustment. This will reduce Social Security and veterans' benefits.

Call the White House TODAY at 202-456-1111 before 5 p.m. and tell President Obama to say no to any and all benefit cuts for Social Security recipients and disabled veterans. Tell him you oppose the use of thechained CPI formulafor calculating the COLA for Social Security and veterans' benefits.

Chained CPI is a measure for calculating inflation, which  would cut Social
Security and veterans' benefits by thousands of dollars over a person's
lifetime. It's an idea supported by some Republicans and, unfortunately, by President Obama and some Democrats.

The
Senate, including Senators Schumer and Gillibrand, is on record opposing the use of chained CPI to calculate Social Security and veterans'
benefits. During the recent floor debate on the federal budget, the
Sanders amendment opposing the use of chained CPI passed by voice vote
without a single senator's objecting. Our Representatives, Rangel and
Nadler, have signed letters to the President opposing use of the chained CPI.

We the people need to make our voices heard against any cuts to or weakening of Social Security.

Please join us and call the White House TODAY at 202-456-1111.

For further information on the Chained CPI click here

You can also read Rep. Jan Shakowsky's  fact sheet on the Chained CPI here .

You can write to President Obama here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments