[BwayDems] Mayoral, borough president candidates debate at forum

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Tue Apr 2 14:44:49 EDT 2013

Mayoral, borough president candidates debate at forum
Candidates for mayor, borough president, and public advocate
shared their visions for the city and explained why they think they
deserve voters’ support.
By Avantika Kumar
Spectator Senior Staff Writer
Published April 1, 2013

David Brann / Senior Staff Photographer

*
Prominent political hopefuls came to Morningside Heights
Thursday evening for a candidate forum hosted by the Broadway Democrats
club.

Candidates for mayor, borough president, and public advocate shared their visions for the city and explained why they think they
deserve voters’ support. About 50 people attended the three-hour forum,
which took place around the corner from Columbia at Bank Street College
on 112th

Street between Broadway and Riverside Drive.

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, Comptroller John Liu, former
comptroller Bill Thompson, and former City Council member Sal Albanese,
along with a host of fringe candidates, discussed their mayoral
campaigns.

Quinn, who had spoken at Barnard earlier that night, emphasized her commitment to supporting education, preserving
affordable housing, and maintaining quality jobs even in the face of
recession. She noted that during her time in public office, she worked
to stop the layoffs of 4,100 teachers and kept fire stations in the city from being shut down.

Liu, who has served as comptroller for three years, said that his
experience making “very vigorous audits” qualified him for the position.

“We need to change our fiscal priorities,” he said, emphasizing the
need to invest in people rather than in companies, hold the New York
City Housing Authority accountable for providing affordable housing, and reform the flat income tax in the city.

Thompson, who lost to Bloomberg in 2009, also criticized his former
opponent’s administration, saying Bloomberg’s policies “squeeze” people
out of the city.

“We’re being priced out of our own neighborhoods,” he said.

Former City Council member Sal Albanese said he was the only
candidate who was “not a career politician.” He stressed the need to
create jobs by giving small businesses “room to grow.”

“We need jobs that pay the bills,” he said.

The candidates for borough president, City Council members Gale Brewer, Robert Jackson, Jessica Lappin, and former Community Board 1 chair Julie Menin, CC ’89, also spoke at the event.

To loud applause, Brewer announced the passage of a paid sick leave
bill for city workers, an effort for which she had spent years lobbying. The accomplishment involved, at one point, a teleconference of around
19,000 people, Brewer said.

She added that her work advocating for small businesses, pushing
environmental efforts, starting a new school, and making open data
available reflected her ability to “take something really important” and mobilize support.

“I’m very focused on what people care about,” Brewer said.

Lappin emphasized her “progressive, reform-minded” Democratic agenda. She cited her experiences working on a law regulating crisis pregnancy
centers, working for seniors as chair of the City Council’s aging
committee, opening five new public schools, and designating historic
areas as landmarks. Lappin also thanked Brewer for her work on the paid
sick leave bill, calling her a “real quarterback” in the effort.

Menin emphasized her role helping rebuild Lower Manhattan following
9/11. Although some doubted Lower Manhattan would ever again be a viable center of tourism and commerce, she said, “we really proved them
wrong.”

As borough president, Menin said she would make affordable housing
more available—adding that her mother, a Holocaust survivor, would not
have been able to make a living in the city were it not for affordable
housing.

Jackson said his efforts promoting education qualified him especially for the position. He also touched briefly on his support for Columbia’s Community Benefits Agreement with Manhattanville residents, mentioning
the 87 nonprofits that were recently awarded grants as part of the
agreement. When City Council candidate Thomas Lopez-Pierre asked him
about accusations that Columbia was not hiring enough black architects,
he responded that Columbia has fulfilled the agreement’s obligations in
that respect.

Morningside Heights Historic District Committee president Laura
Friedman, who attended the event, said that making a choice about which
borough president candidate to endorse would be especially difficult
given the “visionary” candidates.

“Manhattan has a really great number of wonderful candidates for
borough president,” Friedman said. “I wish all of New York had these
choices.”

Friedman said that Brewer’s tenacity on the sick leave bill and her
familiarity with the neighborhood were significant, but “I think that it will be a very tough choice.”

The night also included candidates for public advocate, including
State Senator Daniel Squadron, former deputy public advocate Reshma
Saujani, Teachers College professor Catherine Guerrerio, and Brooklyn
City Councilwoman Letitia James.

Squadron addressed issues of education, affordable housing and bus safety.

Saujani emphasized supporting working families, creating
opportunities for students to obtain qualification for open technical
jobs, and provide free legal assistance to affordable housing tenants.
She also proposed a moratorium on school closures.

James cited her experience fighting for residents’ rights during the
implementation of the Atlantic Yards development project and her support for public facilities, such as libraries, as well as the lawsuits she
has filed against stop-and-frisk, the soda ban, and term limits.

Guerrerio, who emphasized her working-class background and her Ph.D.
in school policy, said that the number of officials who will be replaced this year makes this election season especially significant.

“It’s going to be the Wild West,” Guerrerio said.

avantika.kumar at columbiaspectator.com | @avantikaku