[BwayDems] Fwd: Quinn to Pass Living Wage Bill

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sun Jan 15 01:57:21 EST 2012

If you have trouble viewing the images in this email, please view the online version here.

Dear Living Wage NYC Supporter:

We are excited to announce that yesterday Speaker Quinn, Stuart Appelbaum of the RWDSU and members of the City Council announced an agreement on the Living Wage bill that will allow it to move forward for a vote. This is a major step towards ensuring that New York's economic development programs deliver living wage jobs. The proposed bill will be one of the strongest pieces of Living wage legislation in the country. Read Speaker Quinn's Statement & See the story on NY1.

RWDSU President Stuart Appelbaum released the following statement:

"This is a groundbreaking requirement that covers the largest economic development program in the country. And we’re going even further: the city will establish a new pilot program fund to incentivize the creation of more living wage retail jobs on city development projects. All in all, this is an unparalleled effort to raise standards for job creation, and we should all be proud of that. We know that there is much left to do to address income inequality, job creation and job quality in this city.  But we have raised the bar on what government can do and we will continue to work with all our allies to address the very real concerns of working people and the unemployed.  There is no question that the living wage movement has changed the conversation about job creation in this city."

The Living Wage NYC Coalition released the following statement:

"While not an ideal bill, the Living Wage NYC coalition supports the living wage legislation now being introduced by Speaker Quinn and urges City Council members to pass it. This bill is an important and meaningful step in achieving living wage jobs for all low-wage workers. We will hold the Speaker and the Council accountable to make sure that the final language of the bill moves the goals of our coalition forward. We will keep fighting, and we will not stop until all New Yorkers earn a living wage."

The living wage bill will cover employees of businesses & developers that receive a direct subsidy such as:

* warehouse and distribution centers, and companies like Fresh Direct
* On-site cafeteria and mail room operators at companies like finance and media firms that receive corporate incentives
* Contractors at other sites like arenas or stadiums that receive city subsidiesThe bill will not apply to tenants of developments (i.e. Retailers that lease space). However, to promote living wage jobs more broadly across city development projects, the city will establish a new retail living wage initiative, which shall include:

* A city policy that all employees on city development projects, including retail employees, should be paid a living wage
* Percentage goals for living wage retail jobs on individual projects with retail components, and across the city’s retail portfolio
* Data reporting by retail tenants that do not commit to paying a living wage
* A new pilot program fund to incentivize the creation of more living wage retail jobs on city development projectsThis victory could not have happened without the movement that you have helped to build.

But the fight continues: On Tuesday, the Retail Action Project, a key Living Wage coalition partner, is releasing a report that shows that while the retail industry is booming, workers continue to suffer. The majority of workers surveyed earned less that $10/hour, and did not have benefits such as paid sick days or health insurance.

“Discounted Jobs: How Retailers Sell Workers Short" is being released on Tuesday, January 17th during the National Retail Federation’s Expo at the Javits Center. Please join us for this exciting event:
* What:   Press Conference and Rally to release: “Discounted Jobs: How Retailers Sell Workers Short”
* When:  Tuesday, January 17th at 10:30am at Javits Center (37th & 11th avenue)
* RSVP:  Call 646.490.5925 or email sasha at retailactionproject.org
In Solidarity,

Ava

30 East 29th Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10016