[BwayDems] Fwd: Worship in Our Public Schools

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:09:55 EST 2012

--- On Wed, 2/1/12, Jessica Lappin <jessicalappin at aol.com> wrote:

Dear Friend,

I thought you’d be interested to know that tomorrow, the City Council’s Education Committee is holding a hearing on Reso 1155, which supports state legislation that would require public schools to allow religious worship if they open their doors to community groups after hours.

I am surprised that 35 of my colleagues have signed onto this Resolution prior to tomorrow’s hearing. I hope that after this hearing, and on fuller reflection, a solid majority of the City Council will join me in opposing it.

The Second Circuit stated last June that the Department of Education has good reason to believe that regular worship in public schools amounts to state-sponsored religion. Clearly, it erodes our cherished separation of church and state.

Most New Yorkers probably don’t realize that, right now, about 160 New York City schools are doubling as churches.  I’m not talking about a religious after school club or bible study group.  These churches use the same public space, at the same time, in the same school each and every week for free, or just the cost of custodial fees.

Even worse, some are using taxpayer-subsidized space to preach hatred of homosexuals and people of other faiths.

What’s more, the state legislation in both the Assembly and the Senate is so broad it would “prohibit the adoption of restrictions to exclude or limit speech during non-school hours, including speech that expresses religious conduct or viewpoints.”  What does that mean?  It means the Department of Education wouldn’t be allowed to turn away any groups at all, religious or otherwise – not even the Ku Klux Klan or a pornography club could be denied.

Freedom of religion and the separation of church and state are unique and critical elements of our democracy.  Nowhere in America is that wall more apparent or important than in 21st century New York, a city more culturally, ethnically, and religiously diverse than any in history.

I appreciate the great work that so many religious institutions do for our city, and have worked alongside many on issues of common concern and purpose. But as a graduate of our public schools, and a mother of a son about to enter kindergarten, I believe strongly that schools should remain schools, not become houses of worship.

Sincerely,
Jessica Lappin