[BwayDems] Fwd: STRATEGY MEMO: Mark Murphy For Congress (NY-11)

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Fri Aug 31 13:21:26 EDT 2012

MEMORANDUM

>From: Congressman

Jerry Nadler

>To: Interested

Parties

>Date: August 31,

2012

>RE: Grassroots

Support for Mark Murphy For Congress (NY-11)

>It’s clear that this year’s elections are the most important

we’ve faced in years.  If we want to take
control of Congress away from the Tea Party Republicans, New York is going to
be a key battleground in November.  Right
here in New York City, we have a prime opportunity to defeat Tea Party
Congressman Michael Grimm in the new 11th Congressional District,
which includes Brooklyn and Staten Island.

>As you may be aware, Mark Murphy, our Democratic candidate

in NY-11, has made some tremendous strides over the past few months, and it’s
time to seize the moment.  Congresswoman
Carolyn Maloney and I are helping to spearhead the grassroots effort to organize
New York City activists and volunteers, to make sure the Murphy campaign can
get its message out to voters.  Defeating
Michael Grimm and electing Mark Murphy to Congress is one of our top priorities
in this year’s election.  I am asking for
your help to make sure that the campaign succeeds.

>Several events have transpired in the last few weeks to make

the Murphy campaign our best opportunity to win back a competitive
Congressional seat right here in New York City:

>Grimm’s Legal Trouble

>Michael Grimm and several of his campaign aides are

currently under FBI and grand jury investigation for extortion and illegal
fundraising during his 2010 campaign.  (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/19/grand-jury-probes-allegations-rep-grimm-took-illegal-campaign-donations

>(http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/nyregion/rabbis-followers-say-money-given-to-grimms-house-race-broke-the-law.html)

>Michael Grimm’s close associate and top fundraiser was just arrested

for immigration fraud (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/nyregion/biton-fund-raiser-for-grimm-accused-of-immigration-fraud.html),
and many suspect he will turn state’s evidence against Grimm in the light of
the ongoing investigation.

>Poll Update

>The DCCC recently commissioned a poll in the district, and

the results were striking – Mark Murphy’s campaign can win as long as it can
inform voters of the truth about Michael Grimm.
They simply need to gather the necessary money and grassroots support.  Michael Grimm’s standing as an incumbent is strikingly
vulnerable—only 35% of likely voters have a positive view of Grimm’s job
performance.  After a full battery of
positive and negative messaging about both candidates, Mark Murphy takes a 15% lead in the head-to-head contest.  This means that if we can get the Murphy
campaign the resources it needs: financial contributions & volunteer help,
we can look forward to a tremendous victory in November.

>Momentum Building

>The DCCC has just announced the addition of Mark Murphy’s

campaign in NY-11 to its targeted “Red To Blue” list, determining it to be a top
battleground district in the fight to take back the House.   In light of these developments, City &
State assigned Mark Murphy its weekly “Winner” status—and has labeled Michael
Grimm as one of the week’s “Losers” in two out of the last three weeks. (http://www.cityandstateny.com/winners-losers-august-10-2012/

>(http://www.cityandstateny.com/winners-losers-august-24-2012/)

>Leader Nancy Pelosi

and DCCC Chairman Steve Israel have determined that Mark’s campaign is a
must-win, and it’s up to us here in New York City to make it happen.

>Profile of District

>NY-11 includes Staten Island and parts of southern Brooklyn

including Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Dyker Heights and Bath Beach, portions of
which were in my Congressional district for the past ten years.  It is a textbook “swing district”—both the
New York Times and the Rothenberg Report list the race as a pure “Toss Up.”  Voters are split in a statistical tie in their
generic Democrat v. Republican preference for Congress, and the district’s
voters have a long history of ticket-splitting among political parties.

>About Mark Murphy

>A fourth-generation Staten Islander, Mark Murphy will bring

years of both public service and private sector experience to Congress.   As a successful businessman in the real
estate and media industries, Mark understands the importance of accountability
and responsible budget making.   Mark has
also worked on a staff level in New York City, the U.S. House and the U.S. Senate.
 These experiences have shown Mark how
government can be a positive force that unites people behind common goals.

>Issue Breakdown

>Mark Murphy wants to give the middle class a tax cut and

ensure that the super-wealthy pay their fair share, and he will fight to
protect Social Security and Medicare.   Mark
supports the labor movement and all it does for working families.  Mark is 100% pro-choice and strongly in favor
of LGBT equality.

>In contrast, Michael Grimm voted to end Medicare as we know

it and raise the retirement age.  He supports
the continuation of tax breaks for the wealthiest of Americans while
middle-class and working-class families struggle.   Grimm strongly supports the anti-labor Ryan
budget.  Grimm is anti-choice, and he has
voted repeatedly against a woman's right to make her own personal medical
decisions.  He also has stood in the way
of LGBT rights and countless other progressive legislative priorities.

>Ways to Help

>In the days and weeks to come, you will be hearing from me and

my staff about getting more involved in the Murphy campaign.  It will take a tremendous team effort, and
Rep. Carolyn Maloney and I have been asked by Leader Nancy Pelosi and DCCC
Chairman Steve Israel to spearhead the organizational effort to marshal our
shared resources and get the Murphy campaign the help it needs to win in
November.

>Our office will be facilitating volunteer opportunities for

New Yorkers to help on the ground in Brooklyn and Staten Island—direct voter
contact is a top priority, so we’ll need your help and the help of all your friends
and organizational allies in knocking on doors and making phone calls on behalf
of Mark Murphy. Here’s how you can get
involved right away:

>1.  Please join us at a

NYC Volunteer kickoff event for the Murphy campaign’s South Brooklyn effort on Saturday, September 22.  Further details will follow about this event
and other volunteer opportunities, including nightly phone banks located in
Manhattan.

>2.  The Murphy

campaign needs to raise a great deal of money to get its message out, and we
need to make it our mission to see that they do.  I’ll be leading the effort to help, and I
need your support.  If you can
contribute, or host a house party fundraiser to introduce Mark to your friends
and family, it will make a tremendous difference.  Visit Mark’s
campaign website today to make a contribution.

>***Please phone or email my campaign office right away to

get involved.  You can reach Matt Drury (matt at jerrynadler.com)
or Sam Nagourney (sam at jerrynadler.com) by email or by phone at (212) 352-0370.  I thank you in advance for your hard work and
support—we can’t afford to pass up this tremendous opportunity for a great
victory in November.