[BwayDems] Our Candidate - Judge Rita Mella - Endorsed by the New York Times!

Paula Diamond Roman valleygirl109 at rocketmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:22:40 EDT 2012

SURROGATE’S COURT, MANHATTAN Two well-qualified sitting judges — Barbara Jaffe and Rita Mella
— are vying to preside over this powerful court, which oversees wills, estates and adoptions. The winner will succeed Kristin Booth Glen, who is stepping down after seven years as one of the borough’s two Surrogate’s Court judges. Ms. Jaffe, a longtime Civil Court judge, has served since 2010 as an acting State Supreme Court justice, focusing largely on matrimonial cases. Ms. Mella won her Civil Court seat in 2006. She now sits in Criminal Court, but has also served as the principal court attorney for Margarita López Torres, a judge in Brooklyn Surrogate’s Court.Both contenders are thoughtful and hard-working, and both support court reforms. In a close call, our endorsement goes to Ms. Mella. We are impressed by her solid grasp of the office, excellent people skills and obvious passion for the court’s work.