[BwayDems] September 2011 - Monthly Update from Assembly Member O'Donnell

Daniel O'Donnell odonned at assembly.state.ny.us
Mon Sep 12 14:07:57 EDT 2011

O'DONNELL NEWS -- September 2011
Community Office: 245 West 104th Street • (212) 866-3970

A MESSAGE FROM ASSEMBLY MEMBER DANIEL O'DONNELL
As the quiet days of summer wind down and the business of fall begins,
I'd like to share a few updates on legislative issues about which many
individuals have contacted my office.

First and foremost, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to all who
have reached out to my office to offer their congratulations on the
success of the Marriage Equality Act in this legislative session. I'm
very proud to announce that as of July 24th, this long-needed
legislation is in full effect here in New York State. In addition to the
hundreds of same-sex couples who rushed to the courthouse to marry on
the 24th, thousands of couples across New York have exercised their
deserved right to marry since then. These individuals currently enjoy
the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities under New York law as
opposite-sex couples. If you have any questions regarding the
application of this new law, please feel free to contact my office.

This victory of equality over injustice has meant a great deal to me,
both personally and professionally. I've been leading the fight for
Marriage Equality since 2007 when I was plaintiff in the same-sex
marriage lawsuit decided by the Court of Appeals, and it has been a long
legislative struggle for equality since then. This year, before passage
for the fourth and final time by the Assembly, I was able to collect
more co-sponsors than ever before, with 69 Assembly Members signing on
to the bill to show their strong support. It was with this overwhelming
backing that the bill went to the State Senate where it passed by a vote
of 33-29. When the vote count was finally read aloud, my partner of over
30 years, John Banta, was standing by my side – it was truly a moment I
will never forget.

A second key piece of legislation, Public Integrity Reform Act of 2011,
also passed both the Assembly and Senate this legislative session. In my
role as Chair of the Assembly Committee on Ethics and Guidance, I led
debate regarding this bill on the Assembly floor in June and explained
the significant ethical reforms it institutes. Governor Cuomo
subsequently signed this bill into law on August 15th, and its
provisions are now being implemented.

Among other requirements, the bill necessitates greater income
disclosure by lawmakers, including outside income from business
interests as well as any clients or customers who are doing business
with the state, and also provides a way to strip elected officials of
their pensions should they commit a crime related to their public
office. Additionally, it creates an independent, bi-partisan Joint
Commission on Public Ethics with broad power to investigate wrongdoing
in state government.

Finally, as always, my Community Office is open and available to help
from 9AM – 5:30PM should you need assistance or information on other
issues. I look forward to seeing many of you out in the community this
month.

ASSEMBLY MEMBER O'DONNELL'S UPCOMING FREE LEGAL CLINIC FOR TENANTS
An opportunity for constituents with housing issues to consult with a
volunteer attorney.

Call Joyce at (212) 866-3970 to make an appointment.

**Thursday, September 22nd**

SAVE THE DATE! - ASSEMBLY MEMBER O'DONNELL'S ANNUAL COMMUNITY HEALTH FAIR
Organizations that provide FREE health services, screenings, and
information about nutrition, mental health, diabetes, cancer, and foot
health have been invited.

**Saturday, October 29th; 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM**

Children's Aid Society's
Frederick Douglass Center
885 Columbus Ave. @ W. 104th Street

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY!
Assembly Member O’Donnell's Community Office is now accepting
applications for the fall internship program. To apply, please fax or
email a cover letter and résumé to (212) 864-1095 or to
eliasm at assembly.state.ny.us. For more information, please call (212)
866-3970.

SCHOOL REGISTRATION CENTERS FOR NEW AND RE-ENTERING STUDENTS
As of August 31st, the NYC Department of Education (DOE) has opened 12
Student Registration Centers across New York City to help parents with
registration of new or re-entering students. The Centers are open five
days a week from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. until **Friday, September 16.**

If you still need to register your child, you can find the nearest
Student Registration Center, your child's zoned school, or Special
Education Enrollment Sites by calling 311 or visiting the DOE website at
schools.nyc.gov.

FREE OVERLOOK CONCERT SERIES
Starting September 18th, the Riverside Park Fund is sponsoring a FREE
Autumn 2011 Concert Series. The concerts will be performed at the 116th
Street Overlook on the middle level of Riverside Park and will be held
on three successive Sundays, starting September 18th, from 2PM to 3PM.

September 18th: The Orbit Brass Quintet of the Manhattan School of Music
September 25th: Brad Vickers and His Vestapolitans
October 2nd: French Cookin' Blues Band

For more details, go to www.riversideparkfund.org/calendar.

Atención!
La oficina comunicaría del Asambleísta Daniel O'Donnell ahora tiene
empleados que hablan español para asistir al publico, tiempo completo de
lunes a viernes desde 9:00 AM -5:30 PM. La oficina comunicaría esta
localizada en el 245 West 104th, con la calle Broadway. También pueden
contactar la oficina en horario de trabajo al 212-866-3970.

Attention!
Assembly Member O'Donnell's community office has full-time
Spanish-speaking staff available to assist you, Monday through Friday
from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM. The office is located at 245 West 104th Street,
just off Broadway. You can also call 212-866-3970 during business hours.

--
Office of Assembly Member Daniel O'Donnell
245 W. 104th Street
odonned at assembly.state.ny.us
http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=069

you were forwarded this e-mail and would like to be added to Assembly
Member O'Donnell's e-mail list, please send an email to
odonnelld at assembly.state.ny.us with 'subscribe' as the subject.